• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3rd Model Dragoon A Real Shooter!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Had my 3rd Model Uberti Dragoon out the other day, and man what a beautiful piece this is! Used a 45 grain charge of FFFg Goex, a wonder-wad, and a .454 Hornady ball to great success! Scored an 81, 85, and 88x100 on the B-19 NRA BP pistol 25 yard qualification targets.

The weather on Friday was almost a balmy 55 degrees, so I took a piece of the afternoon off from work so that I could go out and make smoke :) . The custom-built loading stand came in real handy, so I could get uniform pressure and seating of each ball in every chamber. I also chrono'd the load to 1091 FPS.

Just one other thought: a question really; I'm too lazy to look-up the weight of a .454 ball...anybody here know it off of the top of your head and could tell me??

Anybody else get to enjoy that balmy weather??

Thanks as always,

Dave

I've shot my Walker at a 135 yard gong before and did quite well with it, but I never did any long-range work with the Dragoon. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks also to Don, I believe for the ball weight factoid. Now I have the missing info I need to write-up a small story on the adventure for our local club newsletter :)

Dave

Back