• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 cal. question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcward1944

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My new .36 cal. will be in real soon and I want to get ahead of the game a little.
My question is, what diameter should I cut the patches if I want to get some ready ahead of time.
I have pillow ticking (2 sizes) and some moose lube ready. The round balls will be .350. Are all the patches round or do some of you use square?
Once again what a great forum this is. I have learned so much and there is so much more I need to learn.
Thanks to all of you

dinger

I have a 7/8" hole saw I modified to cut round patches for my .36. I prefer round patches but there is nothing wrong with square patches. They shoot the same as round. Make those if it is more convenient.

With a new gun I would just cut some strips of different thickness fabric and cut it at the muzzle. Your new rifle might like patching thicker or thinner than the average. When you find which it likes better then cut a bunch of patches from that batch.

Square is ok as long as they aren't waaay oversize.

Get a sharp knice and start your balls about a 1/4 inch into the barrel and just cut them. Dead center in the patch every time! :wink:

After you shoot a few, pick em up and measure them. That's the size cutter you should get if you do wish to cut patches in advance.

My 36 TC Seneca likes .350 RB,40 grs of FFFg,and .015 patch.I found the square shoot every bit as good as the round patches.Even cut a little over size enough to fold over the ball to protect it from getting any flat when seating it.

Mathematically the answer is Pi X D/2 + D where D is the diameter.
For your .350 dia ball that would be (.350/2 X 3.14) + .350 = .899
Mikes 7/8 dia holesaw is .875 which is close enough for government work or shooting roundballs.
A 1 inch dia patch would also be close enough for your .36 cal gun.

zonie :)

I now cut all of my own patches from pillow ticking--square. It is extraordinarily cheap, easy, and just as accurate as the round ones.

Back