• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 cal data wanted.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Mec and you other cap and ball hounds,

Just bought a couple of .36 cal revolvers and want to shoot 777 and pyrodex P out of them. I know Mec had some on a Remington but my search turned up empty. Will be shooting 15 to 17 grns of 777 and 20grns of P out of my revolvers. Any performance data along those lines would make me a grateful man.

Thanks

Don

Just a heads-up, in my .36, I cut group size in half by switching from 777 to Swiss black powder. Groups also went from some strange "stringing" to nice and round with the Swiss.

It seems that 777 does not like to be compressed, (!?!?!) which kind of makes it hard to load in a revolver without compressing it. Maybe I'm wrong on the compression but that's what I heard. With black or pyrodex that's not a problem, so I'd stick with one of them.

About the only advantage I can see for 777 is that you can cram a lot into the chamber for a lot of power. Because it DOES compress a lot, you can fill the chamber right to the mouth, and the ball will still seat. But that's at the price of possibly shearing your loading lever latch off! For charges in the 17 grain range I would not bother with it. :imo:

My .36 likes about 20 grains of Swiss ffg, a Wonder Wad, and a .375" ball for 1.5" groups at 20 yards. fffg Goex would be my second choice. I have not shot Pyrodex in many years, (when I did it worked fine) but that would be a far better choice than 777.

No offense 777 fans.

:sorry:

Rat

Some LymanBlack Powder Handbook data:
.36 cal, 7 1/2 barrel, .375 ball, Rem#10 caps:
Pyrodex P
LOAD, VEL
15.5, 793
20.0, 830
22.5, 863
25.0, 897
27.5, 920