• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32cal accuracy ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many variables with that question, but if any Redcoats that were targeted by the woodsmen at the Battle of New Orleans with their 'squirrel rifles' at 50 paces were still around, they would tell you "plenty accurate".
Because the targets for the riflemen were the 'buttons on the redcoats'
:thumbsup:

ss1 said:
How accuracy is 32cal at 50yds and 100yds??

Depends on the gun, the shooter, the wind and the load...

If all do their part, you should be able to hit a squirrel in the head at 50 yards with considerable ease...

Out around 100 yards, the small projectile may lack ample killing power to be effective for a humane kill, but it can still punch holes in paper at that yardage...

IMO to hit a squirrel in the head at anything beyond 50 yards is wishful thinking. Even at 50 yards,that's stretching it a bit,don't you think? I shoot competition chunkgun, (60yds) and usually come home with T-Bone as opposed to hamburger meat,but I ain't going to stand here and tell you that 50 yard head shots on squirrels is a snap!For starters,that squirrel isn't going to sit still waiting for you to squeeze off a round!

My favorite squirrel rifle is a little .32cal H.House Southern Mountain Rifle.It's highly accurate.....with the right powder charge,patch and ball combination. With 30gr of 3f and an .012 denim Dutch Schultz Dry lubed patch, felt WonderWad over the powder, it will put ball after ball in a single hole at 50 yards. Vary any of the above factors, and the pattern opens out instantly. 28 or 32 grains of powder and the pattern is two inches plus!

IMO, for what ever it is worth, if you plan to take any 100 yard shots at anything you need to think in terms of .45cal or larger. A .32cal is just too small for anything over 50yds max. That's my thinking... :shake:.

der Forster said:
but I ain't going to stand here and tell you that 50 yard head shots on squirrels is a snap!

Well if'n that don't beat all, here I've been a head shootin squirrels for years at that range with a .32 caliber flinter, can be done? Yessirybob, it takes a keen eye and a study hand, if'n any of these are off, you ain't gonna be eatin squirrely critters for viddles.

I shot a 32 caplock for a while & found that my groups opened up dramatically after 50 yds. Better shooters with younger eyes and more patience to develop a load could doubtless do better, I was happy with 2" at 50 yards but seldom saw less than 10" (or worse) at 100. With a larger caliber, 100 yards groups tightened right up.

I beg to differ on the .32 caliber's ability at one hundred yards. I used a .32 for years shooting in competition and consistantly shot scores in the low 40's on the 100 yard targets. The rifle I used had a Green Mountain barrel and I used 35 grains ffg, yes ffg, with a .323 round ball and some patching material that was labeled "plain Ticking" on the bolt. After wearing out the .32 caliber barrel, I replaced it with a .36 caliber barrel and it shoots very well at 100 yds. also.
Be Well,
Bill

Not difficult to start at all. I used the same load for squirrel hunting and loaded from a loading block using a short starter made from a short piece of 5/16" brass rod. I have never owned a Green Mountain barrel of any caliber that did not like a ball of at least bore size. .400 in a .40 caliber; .451 in a .45 caliber; .360 in the .36 caliber. My first .32 caliber way back when had a Douglas barrel, and a .323 was what those barrels really liked.
Be Well,
Bill

Lone Carabiner said:
Must have a dern good short starter to get thet .323 PRB going down a .32 hole. :cursing:

My .32 cal [.322-3 bore] shoots best with a .327 ball and ticking.......actually loads quite easy. :hmm:

Most have seen this so I apologize to them, but this is my best group at 100yds just happens to be with a .32 shooting buckshot and for loading no I do not use a short starter.
3 shots
IMG_1818.jpg

I should add this was done from a bench.

My experience with my little cheapo .32 Crockett is remarkable to say the least. It can outshoot me any day of the week. I can outshoot my .50cal percussion guns with it at 50yds and get groups less than 3" at 100yds. (This is on a bench rest I ain't no Daniel Crockett)

As far as down range energy I have shot the 103g maxiballs out of it with good results. I have not shot them much though because it is real fun shooting the little balls.

I have lost my two local shooting ranges this summer and have not shot much lately because of it but when I can shoot I bring the .32 because it is a lot of fun and everyone likes shooting it.

Back