• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 versus .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib4elk

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a small game rifle and trying to decide between a .32 and a .36. I know there are pros and cons (at least each of our own opinions of pros and cons!) and that is what I am interested in. Items of interest include ramrods, capabilities (.32 good for squirrels and rabbits - much more?), weight, etc. I am sure there have been posts on this in the past, but I have not been able to find them - at least nothing that was this specific to comparing the two calibers.

Looking forward to everyone's responses - let the fireworks begin. :)

I have both and neither is a problem shooting.The 32 is best suited for squirrel,rabbit,etc.The 36 is a bit more than needed for small game and more suited for turkey,yote,fox,etc.

I don't have either. My small caliber flinter is a .45. I've shot and loaded 40s and 36s, but would opt for a .40 since it can use a 3/8" ramrod. My current resident state specifies .40 and smaller for small game and .44 an larger for large game. Iffn' I want to hunt small game with a MLer, I'll use my .45 and the bunny fuzz will have to catch me. :blah: (was lookin' for a finger smilie) :stir:

I myself would go for the 36. But fact is 36 is the smallest caliber Ml that I have. I have never had a 32 so you can see where I am coming from. :idunno:

One other thing I throw at ya.

The 36 cal Maxi ball weighs 128 grains.

If you plan on using your rifle for larger "Varmints", that's the same weight as a 45 round ball = a whole lot of "thump" from a 36...

I don't have either. However, a .32 would be a severe limitation in my book as it would be almost useless for any larger critters like coyotes or bobcats. You can load a .36 down but you can only do so much with a .32. :td:

There's also the handicap of a heavier, front heavy rifle with the .32.

Went thru this myself awhile back and settled on the .32. Strictly small game, no intentions of hunting anything larger than jack rabbits with it, no plans on shooting past 50 yards. Big game calibers start at .40 around here so conicals aren't even a consideration.

Ramrods and range rods aren't an issue. Easily found and don't see breakage as a problem. Same with jags and other accessories. Small calibers seem to load very easily, even with very tight ball/patch combinations.

Mine was a custom build, so I picked a 3/4" X 42" straight barrel to save on weight.

After using it, and seeing the wound channels it leaves, I could probably use it on larger critters, at least out to 50 yards. Haven't tried it, though. Coyote and the like tend to be longer range propositions around here so bigger bores get used.

Didn't see where .04" was going to add any value for what I intended to use the rifle for.

Are these guns available to be handled? If so buy the one that fits you best.I have both. I like both.Each will do what I want for a small bore.

I have both calibers, and perfer the 36 caliber personally. The 32 cal fouls quickly, and I have broken more wood ram rods then I care to discuss. The 36 caliber can use 000 buck balls and can be bought in bulk for cheap. Think about this we were up in northern Michigan 7 hours from home and somehow I forgot to pack enough balls for the squirrels we were seeing and unable to find any round balls anywhere. I went to wally world bought a box of 12 ga 000 buck rounds and cut the shells and removed the pellets and was back in business for the 36 caliber, couldn't have done that with the 32. Just something to think about. Saved my butt that trip. Also the 36 bucks the wind better and has more power in case a coyote shows up as well.

For the last 30 years I have used a 45 almost exclusively for squirrels. Had a 32 once, sold it. Loading and cleaning it was like trying to thread a needle. I have big hands and I don’t know how many balls I dropped trying to reload, good luck finding in tall grass. Given the choice I would choose the 36.

Thanks everyone for the information and advise - exactly what I was looking for. Have to decide what I really planning on using it for - thinking mostly rabbits but may want to think of slightly larger critters like coyotes and such.

I have read that for a .32 folks seem to use between 15 and 35gr of powder and 20-50gr (or more) for a .36. I assume 20-25gr with a .36 PRB would be more than enough for rabbits out to 30-40+ yards... There were some previous posts about fps for 30 or more grains of powder in a .36 so not looking for that, just wondering what folks opinions are and how low of powder charges they go for small game with these calibers.

I have both, the .32 crockett is a bit more accurate than the .36 traditions but both are good for small game. You can get .32 conicals if you want, i shoot PRB outta both. Per a previous post the .32 is more of a PIA to load and clean in opinion.

If you can use 000 for a .36, can't you use 0 buck for .32? I am awaiting a Crockett to arrive and am curious.

I use 3F Swiss in all my guns under 40 cal.fouling and cleaning is a total non-issue for me in loads I use. That means.powder,patch thickness and lube.The 32 uses 25gr., both 36's use 30 gt. They can handle more powder, it goes right through ground hog skulls as it is. Don't think I ever attempted shots on game past 75yds.

I use my .32 for rabbit and squirrel mostly, and have taken 3 coyote with it so far, and not a single one has complained about me using too little gun. And while I don't recommend it, since I haven't tried it yet, but plan on taking a hog with my .32 flinter just to see where exactly the limit is for the .32 RB. Now this is coming from someone who has intentionally gone after hogs with a .22LR pistol, and still do so from time to time, so you may be reading of me biting off more than I can chew someday, but no matter what, it will be interesting either way. Just keep telling yourself, it's not the size of the RB, but rather putting it exactly where it belongs, as proven by a member here who has used his .32 to take deer.

In general small game loads would be 10-15 gr 32, 15-20 gr 36 and 20-25 gr 40. Every gun is different though, the ones I have tend to like loads on the lower end.
A 36 with prb is a bit light for coyote. Sure it will kill one just like a 22 or 22 mag rim fire, but they are marginal just like a 36. If a fella just has to give it a go he'd be better off with a stouter charge like 35-40 gr if the gun would shoot it accurately. Coyotes generally don't meander around and offer broadside shots as readily as deer so you need a bit heavier lead in case it has to drive through long ways. Maxis in a 36 or prb in a 40 are more than enough for that.

Bugflipper said:
In general small game loads would be 10-15 gr 32, 15-20 gr 36 and 20-25 gr 40. Every gun is different though, the ones I have tend to like loads on the lower end.
A 36 with prb is a bit light for coyote. Sure it will kill one just like a 22 or 22 mag rim fire, but they are marginal just like a 36. If a fella just has to give it a go he'd be better off with a stouter charge like 35-40 gr if the gun would shoot it accurately. Coyotes generally don't meander around and offer broadside shots as readily as deer so you need a bit heavier lead in case it has to drive through long ways. Maxis in a 36 or prb in a 40 are more than enough for that.
Well I use 30 in the 32cal, 30-45 in 36 cal, and anywher from 35-70 in the 40 cal on mine but thats just me. A 36 caliber prb is not to light for a coyote at all, people kill deer all day long with a 36 cal prb in some places. Just saying nothing against ya

tryinhard said:
If you can use 000 for a .36, can't you use 0 buck for .32? I am awaiting a Crockett to arrive and am curious.
I have never heard of anyone running single buck in a 32 caliber to be honest not sure if it will work of not. Its kind of hard to find but I would be interested to see what it actually mics out to

Back