• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 PRB for Mountain Lion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no comparison between the tenacity for life between a mountain lion and an African lion.

The mountain lion possess very little tenacity for it and is a much smaller physically sized animal.

I spent time hunting with Richard Grona and he said that the majority of his lions were shot with a .22 Magnum revolver.

He said if the lion is not dead when it hits the back ground, let the dogs do their work and do not shoot one of his dogs during the process. He said the last thing the lion is worried about is a human with a bunch of dogs on him while he is hurting.

To me a perfect M/L rifle would be a T/C Seneca or Cherokee in .36 with a sling. Plenty of power and light weight for carrying. Most shots are going to be 30 yards or less depending on the distance from the tree.

Last thing a guide wants is for his hunter to be hurt, not good for business.

of all the mountain lions shot around here, and it is a lot, the people shooting them say they are a easy kills. a.32 will do the trick, glad he has a .357 for a back up. he is going to have fun and their are way too many mountain lions,at leaste around here. i cant see what is wrong with a hole in a mountain lions skull. just proves he was shot and went down fast. dont waste the meat, many people say it is the best.

I've heard of people in my native state of Texas that hunt wild boar with dogs and a butcher knife. I never did, I have killed feral hogs with a shotgun. I have no desire to take on a panther with a ML. May the peace and blessings of Allah be on you who challenge the dragon.

I've heard of people in my native state of Texas that hunt wild boar with dogs and a butcher knife. I never did, I have killed feral hogs with a shotgun. I have no desire to take on a panther with a ML. May the peace and blessings of Allah be on you who challenge the dragon.

There was a store in Kerrville that sold the knives for which you speak.

The guy was telling about me about hunting hogs that way. I asked the him if they were drug tested before or afterwards the hunt? I got the look.

Yes, people hunt hogs with a pig sticker. Maurice Chambers has an 11” scar on his calf from the activities.

“Mommas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys...”;)

For those who are not brave enough to use a knife, they had daggers for sale as well in the store.

Richard Grona had scars on one leg from a hog which the dogs did not corral. He said it put his hunter in the truck bed and he did not make it into the truck in time.

Mountain lion was on my list for things to hunt, just never did get to it. Some how international fishing took over my hunting time and money.

Guess the fun to me would have been in the chase and watching the dogs. Hunting one now I think I would prefer to go with a camera, just too old now to go though.

fish d fly, i wish you would tell us about fishing, that would be funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. my spring time fishing is ruined as flooding is so bad here im sure the trout got washed away and i can even get close to the good spring crappie lake.

For those who are not brave enough to use a knife, they had daggers for sale as well in the store.

My daughter is a fan of hunting hogs with blade and dogs. She prefers her spear though. Took her first at 7.

Attachments

• 306474_10150469313998242_1295722912_n.jpg
    306474_10150469313998242_1295722912_n.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 123
Great replies, thanks all. Any more info on where to get .32 maxis other than ToW? Any more info on performance of maxis over PRBs?

My daughter is a fan of hunting hogs with blade and dogs. She prefers her spear though. Took her first at 7.

I wonder what the boys she goes to school with think?

I can hear her story of "What did you do this summer away from school"?

The guys here say a .54 or larger is needed to down a hog and here is a young lady doing it with a spear!!

LOL! Some people say that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, yet others eat oranges...

I’ve carried bayonets, but I’ve never walked into harms way with a mounted bayonet, I was more comfortable using the issue ammunition. Hogs are pikers compared to humans.

I wonder what the boys she goes to school with think?

They oughta know better than to be a pig to her, I'd think. A couple of weeks ago she said she knows three other girls in her freshman class who like to hunt. The info came out in an Advisory class about hobbies. I asked what the boys liked to do. "Play Fortnite," she replied. I nearly fell on the floor laughing. Ironic given how rural her school is. Plenty of kids coming to school in their ranch work gear.

A treed cat is an easy target, as long as you're not breathless, nervous and you get a good view of him not moving. I prefer not to take chances in such events. If I were hunting MLs - never have - I'd want a sure kill rifle. If it's only wounded and still has fight in him, you've only put the dogs in serious danger. Rather than trying for a headshot (small target) I'd go for a good heart/lung shot with a rifle large enough to do the job. For me, that would be a .45 or larger.

I think some people are caught up in the word "hunting", and the ramifications of that. In reality, the lion "hunter" is just there to kill the animal after the real hunters, the dogs, have surrounded the lion and put it in a predicament from which it cannot escape, and you should have time to make good shot placement. Another word that gets some people who are unaccustomed to hunting lions is the word "tree". This seems to conjure up pictures of 100+ ft. tall specimens of oak or cottonwood, that squirrels, coons, and possums, might climb into the upper reaches of. In real life, a lion is more likely to climb 10' up a 20' juniper "tree".

Mountain lions have not been known to be hard to put down. I've personally known a few experienced hound owners, and they say, basically the same thing. They usually tie up the dogs before the shot is taken to keep a wounded animal from falling into them, but that is up to him. If the lion jumps out of the tree and runs before the hunter gets a good shot, they get to chase it some more, which is what they like to do. It will go up another tree pretty soon, and the dogs live for chasing it.

Drew a tag for a cat hunt on Native reservation land. My guide says he's taken plenty with .22 magnum and I see in other threads the .32 should be ballistically similar. Crony data is giving me slightly more muzzle energy than charts I'm seeing for .22 magnum. Shots are pretty much guaranteed to be at a treed cat rather than level and open.

Any input on PRB vs minnies or maxis? E.g. where to get the latter?
o man, i would use something heavier!!!! curious, why the need to shoot 1 with a .32????

Latest posts

Back