• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 for squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQHunterGray

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone use a .32 for small game? What do you think of it? What gun makers do you recommend?

Thanks,

-Marc

Been using an old CVA squirrel gun for 25 plus years with 20 grains of 3F. Works great and the gun shoots better now than I am able to see. Mine is flint but percussion is OK too. :grin:

I use a .32 cal T/C Seneca with patched RB. 20 grains of 777 3F gives me a very accurate load with pleanty of power. I have mine sighte in at 25 yrds.

I use a .32 CVA squirrel and a .32 Bludge Ridge 20grs and .311 RB. Deadly , plus killed a lot of grhogs same load. Graveyard dead. Dilly

My wife shoots a CVA Squirrel rifle and is deadly using 10 grains of 3F with a 311 RB and 25 grains of 3GF using a maxiball.

I got the Pedersoli in 32cal n love it, usually load with 30grains of powder n she cracks real nice, mean on squirrel out to 50 or 60 yards n whistlepigs a mite closer

I use an old .32caplock with a Douglas barrel and Robbins lock & trigger. At 25 yards 15 and 30 grains fffg shoot to the same POI and the heavier load shoots on 50 yards. Headshots only with both loads for squirrels. I shot a truckload of squirrels, one beaver and 1 deer over many years. The small deer was taken with a heart shot with the 30 grain load at 35 yards and dropped within 35 yards. The ball broke a rib, drilled the heart, broke a rib on the off side and stopped under the hide. That load runs @ 1650 fps @ 10 ft. Faster than 12 ga. buckshot. No lectures please. I don't gripe about what others wound or miss. As far as I can tell a .32 is like shooting a HV 32-20 WCF. Wonky

I have a TC in a cherokee 32cal.My favorite way to hunt squirrels.I only wish I could find a 32 barrel for my TC Seneca.Load is 20 grs of FFFg.

I have seen game killed with both. The 36 and the 32 don't make a whole lot of difference on small game unless you load them up real fast. Then the 36 will tear more meat up. If a song dog walks by, the 36 is the much better choice.
Add in the fact that 60 grains under a 36 conical will handle anything that walks this continent except the big bears with proper shot placement. It isn't legal most placesfor big game, but it is highly effective with a conical. The 32 is an ok load but is much more limited than the 36.
I am thinking about relining a revolver to 32 for small game, general woods carry, and for target. I have all the parts except the actual barrel liner already waiting. The idea of a caliber that allows me to use the same ball as my 36 rifle keeps me from commiting! The ball is .350, so about .345 would be perfect. So far, I have not found an appropriate barrel to do that. The idea of a large frame revolver with almost no recoil in a small game caliber sounds really nice for target practice and general woods carry.
Neither one is a wrong choice!

I'd be real specific about ball diameters in 36 cal rifles and revolvers. My rifle uses a .350 ball while my revolver calls for a .360 ball so it can swage down to fit the chambers.

Your revolver should call for a .375 ball I believe. That is if it is a 36 anyway. That is why I siad I need to find a barrel before I cut my chambers. .335 lands to about .345 grooves would be about right for the barrel if I understand correctly for using the .350 ball. I would increase the size of the chamber until I got best accuracy on one chamber and bore the other 5 to match. The only limit is saying small enough to get a good cut in on the ball to seal the chamber. .345 may be a little too big.

I have a TC Cherokee .32cal and have used it for squirrel and rabbit at times. Back problems have kept me from hunting the last few seasons so I am really itching for a small game hunt with my .32cal.

From time to time I read about people using "0" buck in their .32's instead of regular .310/.311/.315 round ball. Anyone who has tried this care to elaborate? From what I can tell the "0" buck is sized to .32cal, so would you still need to use a patch or would you simply load the ball as you would a conical? I have been tempted to try this for a few years now in my Cherokee, but without some first hand reports on how well it works and proper loading technique I have not committed myself to it yet.

I have a .32 with a Douglass bbl. and it shoots the .320 buck great but I have a friend with a Vincent with a Green Mt.barrel and the buck is too tight. Every barrel is different so it would be worth a try in any .32 to see if it will work.

All Round balls are intended to be patched. Some are loaded " bare" in smoothbore muskets, only because the bore dimensions of the barrels could vary so widely, and there was no time to clean the bores on a battle field. The lead balls provided were purposely sized under size for the bore, so that they could still be shot as the bores began to get tight from powder residue. Some of the guns actually showed better accuracy after a number of shots had been fired to dirty the bore for the size ball being shot. This was, at best, an
Unintended consequence", and not something planned. Warfare at the time period use muskets as massed cannon fire, where point the gun was all that was desired, to lay a line of fire down that would mow down ranks of troops facing your own lines at as little as 50 yards distance. Aimed fire was not desireable or appreciated. The muskets had NO rear sights. Aimed fire could ( and did) prove to be particularly dangerous to Officers who rode horses behind their lines of troops and gave commands to field grade officers of lower ranks who were forward of their position.

"0" Buck is .32 caliber. No.1 buck is .30 caliber. If the .32 caliber buck proves too tight for your barrel, then try the #1 buck balls, and a thicker patch. They should work.

You mention matching the rifle and revolver, wouldn't it be easier to have a rifle that uses a patched .375 ball? I guess it would be a .38 caliber rifle, I know at least one state (I forget which) lists .38 as a max for small game or min for big game. I just think it would be easier to build a rifle to use the .375 balls then modify a revolver to use the other.
sharps54

Runner
TOW recently sold an old dixie pedersolie plainsman rifle in 38cal which would shoot the375 ball these were made in the 70's they were a copy of a cecil brooks half stock.the price was $309 they were made in 38&45cal finding one would certainly be a quest

Back