• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal muzzy for turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdugas

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone ever hunt turkey with .32 muzzleloader ? I just acquired a Crocket .32 muzzleloader and have a trip planned in April to go to Texas to hunt turkey. I was wondering if it work on turkey.

Many of us live in states where a single projectile is not allowed. I do remember member Roundball posting about using a rifle on turkey, so you might try searching his posts, which would be years ago. I think he may have used a 40 though.

Someone here must have used a rifle, where legal, on turkey. Hopefully they can chime in with experience/advice.

Head shot with a .32 will do the job. A body shot might be iffy depending on angle, those thick heavy feathers are tougher to penetrate than some might think and you will need to get that ball into some vital organs. And it has to get there with enough energy to stop that bird from taking off running. If it dies after hot footing it away from you, there is a chance of losing the bird.

Rifled will not hold a good shot pattern. Borrow a smooth-bore and load 6 or up.
If the State allows it, the 32 will definitely get the job done with a hit in the head
or neck.

we are not allowed to use rifles for turkey here but are allowed to use rifles for grouse! go figger.
i have taken grouse with the .32 and some of the blue grouse are the size of a jake. dead right there. always try to hit right at the base of the neck where it is broadest, i'm not that good a shot to try for head shots.

I remember reading some where in the past about shooting turkeys at the bottom of the body when a head or neck shot was not possible. It was done to stay away from the breast.

Thoughts?

I remember reading some where in the past about shooting turkeys at the bottom of the body when a head or neck shot was not possible. It was done to stay away from the breast.

Thoughts?
Hmm, not sure about this. Do you recall their reasoning? I think I would be more likely to try and wait for the bird to turn its back and either go for a high spine hit or a "Texas heart shot." But, I'd really like to know more about what you read.

It was a long time ago that I read it and now you help remember some of it. Reasoning was not to hit the breast and ruin the meat.

It was the Texas shot going away.

In Texas lots of turkeys are killed in the fall during deer season and are shot with deer rifles. They can make a mess of a turkey.

It was a long time ago that I read it and now you help remember some of it. Reasoning was not to hit the breast and ruin the meat.

It was the Texas shot going away.

In Texas lots of turkeys are killed in the fall during deer season and are shot with deer rifles. They can make a mess of a turkey.
Thanks. I figured the reason was not to ruin breast meat. I didn't word my question correctly. But your further explanation answers it.
I remember an article in one of the gun rags many years ago wherein the author was taking a youngster out to test a new Ruger Ranch Rifle in .223 by turkey hunting with it. If the breast were even close to touched I'd imagine there would be a lot if bloodshot meat.

Someone here must have taken a turkey with a roundball body shot. Any damage report available?

Last edited:
Interwebs say that shotguns and archery are the only legal means of taking turkeys in Texas. There are a lot of guys on here from Texas. I'm sure they can confirm.

After spending a good bit of time testing the penetration of a .32 prb some years back I'm convinced a .32 prb will drop a turkey with a body shot. Turkeys are tough. A BB or even some pellet hits aren't likely to get their attention. Pigeons aren't in any danger from a BB gun. For a powder charge 30 grains of 3F should be your starting point. My .32 is accurate with 40 grains and that's as high as I ever needed to go. You can certainly load heavier charges with no problem; accuracy with the heaviest load you try is what you are looking for. I've hunted in states that allow rifles and those requiring shot. IMHO rifles from .32, up to .40 make good turkey rifles.
I shot a couple of turkeys broadside with a BB gun and they never noticed. But when I shot one in the neck with the BB gun it dropped DRT.

Head shot with a .32 will do the job. A body shot might be iffy depending on angle, those thick heavy feathers are tougher to penetrate than some might think and you will need to get that ball into some vital organs. And it has to get there with enough energy to stop that bird from taking off running. If it dies after hot footing it away from you, there is a chance of losing the bird.
Thats absolute horse hockey. My .32 can easily penetrate 3/4 inch plywood backer board at 50 yards on my clubs range. I can't see a turkeys feathers somehow stopping or lessening the penetrative ability of the ball at the same yardage.

There's an old adage regarding turkeys. "Hit em high, watch em die. Hit em low watch em go".

Last edited:
Just looked up Indiana's rules on the DNR site.
Looks like shotguns only, smokeless or BP. Smokeless is .410 or 28 gauge.
BP is 20 gauge up to 10. Some pellet restrictions.
Bow and arrow
and crossbows

A .40 cal round ball in the body (through the wing) will punch a hole in the bird and not ruin any meat.
I like the idea of a head shot on a turkey and have shot many paper targets but a live birds head never, ever is still enough for a shot. The base of the neck where it gets wide is a better target if standing still, moving aim for the top of the wing.
here in PA they just banned all rifles in the fall season and only shotgun or bow in the spring.

Back