• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2f or 3f?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVAED

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently shooting 2f in my T/C Hawken 50 cal. I shoot 3f in my revolver. I was thinking of getting rid of the 2f and just using 3f in everything. Also, If someone else is shooting 3f, what is the suggested load? I use 80 grains of 2f now. Thanks in advance, Ed

You might want to start from scratch with load development when you experiment with the 3F in your rifle.

My "Hawken" unexpectedly hated 3F. Shots went all over the place. So, I stuck with the 2F.

I see no real tangible difference between 2f and 3f. In all my TC rifles they seem to interchange with out notice. I generally stick with 70 grs for just shooting and 90 grs for hunting. A little less 3f and a little more 2f but around that amount. As to it being cleaner, I don't see that either because you still have to clean the gun. I do shoot more 3f though so maybe I do prefer it a little bit. :hmm:

It really is strange that some barrels just don't shoot one granulation worth a hoot and others do. I have a couple barrels that prefer one granualation over the other and the difference is quite large in some.

i agree with the conventional wisdom: try it and see which load works best for your particular rifle.

this means that you will get lots of range time, shooting you new rifle.

this counts as a very good thing. (just one guy's opinion, mind you.)

:haha:

if your rifle shoots fine with 2f why mess with it? I noticed no improvement in my rifles between 3f and 2f but to each his own you will have to work your load up to determine what works best for your rifle

I shoot 54 and 58 caliber and I like the 3F better than the 2F. Seems to shoot flatter. I do notice a bit more of a sharper kick in the felt recoil. This, I imagine, is from higher VELOCITY (The old F = MA... Force equals Mass times Acceleration).

The 2F seems like a duller grind to me.

3F works in all my guns. I also sometimes shoot a 50-90 and use black powder in handloads and use the 3F instead of 2F. Works well.

I will get a chrony soon and test the 3F verses 2F to see of Imm getting more velocity out of the same grain weight. Sure seems like it in my 54 cal flintlock with round ball.

Trench said:
You might want to start from scratch with load development when you experiment with the 3F in your rifle.
My "Hawken" unexpectedly hated 3F. Shots went all over the place. So, I stuck with the 2F.
I second that suggestion that you work up another load all together if you switch. My .54 just won't group worth beans using 3f while my .50 is better with 3f.

I have the same rifle as you and 75grains of 3f works well for mine,with 4f in the pan.

I use 3F and love it in my .50 with a round ball!
I can shoot anywhere from about 65g for all day plinking, all the way up to about95g my hunting load.

Exactly,65grains works really well for me with targets. I have not gone above 75grains as of yet. From what I've gathered from other discussions that would be plenty for a deer,and as it turns out it was at least at 45-50 yards. Hope this doesn't offend I'm just startin ya know. If correction is needed please do.

Latest posts

Back