• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

28 Gauge Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
Any ideas? It has no markings. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-115613_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-115613_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 50
Angled photographs don't show a lot of details on long guns. This gun would be easier to identify if you could provide a couple views taken directly over it, both front and back, and a good view of the muzzle. With that said, several comments can be made about the gun from your picture.

Based on the stock appearing to be cherry, a single trigger, and a slight "fish belly" to the lower butt line, the gun was probably made in New England. Had you not stated it was a fowler, I would call it a half-stocked rifle with an octagon-to-round target barrel with standard rifle-type front/rear sights. Note the butt has a flat, rifle-style bottom edge, not a rounded edge like most fowlers, and the barrel looks rather short for a fowler. I'd guess it's either a "buck & ball" type gun with a thick enough barrel wall to shoot a ball, or an original rifle with its barrel reamed out to convert it to a fowler. Perhaps we could tell more with better images.

Shelby Gallien

Last edited:
It could be a NY pigeon gun. They where used for shooting passenger pigeons out of trees. The idea being to hit as many as possible in 1 shot so no need for a long barrel. That style was called a perch belly in Western Ny

Last edited:
Angled photographs don't show a lot of details on long guns. This gun would be easier to identify if you could provide a couple views taken directly over it, both front and back, and a good view of the muzzle. With that said, several comments can be made about the gun from your picture.

Based on the stock appearing to be cherry, a single trigger, and a slight "fish belly" to the lower butt line, the gun was probably made in New England. Had you not stated it was a fowler, I would call it a half-stocked rifle with an octagon-to-round target barrel with standard rifle-type front/rear sights. Note the butt has a flat, rifle-style bottom edge, not a rounded edge like most fowlers, and the barrel looks rather short for a fowler. I'd guess it's either a "buck & ball" type gun with a thick enough barrel wall to shoot a ball, or an original rifle with its barrel reamed out to convert it to a fowler. Perhaps we could tell more with better images.

Shelby Gallien
Well, the description says "Fowler". Maybe the seller doesn't know exactly what it is. Looks pretty rugged and shootable, though. Thought it might make a nice companion for my .54 smoothy pistol . Thanks for your input.

Back