• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2010-2011 flintlock deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWsaddles

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't posted very much and this is my first pic post but I thought I would share the success of my last two years hunt. Both were killed with my 40 cal flintlock that I built from a Tvm Lancaster kit and much help from information found here on the forum. The first buck was with a double ball in front of 60 gr of 3 f . The second was single ball and 60 gr 3 f. Both were within 50 yards. The bug has bitten and am looking forward to this years hunt. Hope to show some tree rats soon.

4F899487-0A56-42EF-B01D-70EA8D0D51CF-13249-0000244A56E5A1BF_zpsb0c52064.jpg

554C98B0-5817-444C-9629-F8BFC447D5E0-13249-0000244A58693137_zpsa9f3facb.jpg

WOW! Do you even THINK in terms of shooting something other than behemoths or do you even SEE any small deer? I'd lick out my boot treads for a shot at those babies. Congratulations! Double ball, huh? :hmm:

Thank you all so much, I've been pretty lucky but we have some pretty good hunting here in north west Arkansas. I experimented with the double ball when I first got my 40 but decided I liked the single ball load the best. Faster and easier to reload , and one does the job just have to put it in the right spot :wink:

Allen

Nice shooting! and very nice deer! I had to check Ark. Regs on muzzleloading and was surprised to see that you ARE able to use a .40 cal. for deer. Most States I thought made it .44 cal. or above. It makes it nice that you can use it for squirrels and deer. :thumbsup: .

It was that way for years but they dropped it to 40 5 or 6 years ago which I like because I use it on everything and am comfortable in knowing how she likes to be treated

Much has been siad about the .40 cal for deer as being a not a good choice.
As you all can see now: IT IS NO GOOD FOR DEER!!
It kills them dead!!! :rotf:
Good for you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent!

I'm curious how far apart the balls landed on that double ball load, and if you recovered either of them.

I've long planned to simply shove a second ball down on top of the first in the event of bear troubles here where I hunt, but never tried them on game.

On paper the balls hit side by side touching each other at 50 yards. On the deer both entered the same hole and then sepperated to about 5 to 6 inches. One passed all the way through the other stopped just under the skin. The reason I chose to drop the load was there was much more tissue damage on the single load, even though there was one less projectile and I believe it was due to the higher velocity of the load. Also it was a little harder to load because both bullets have to be seated firmally against each other. It was easy to do on the range with range rod but a little more difficult to do with wooden ram rod in the woods after your addreline is pumping. Also the point of impact was quiet a bit different than my other loads. I liked the experiment but it just wasn't right for me. It was worth a try . I have pic of the targets I shot and entrance/ exit wounds at the shop that I'll try to post on Monday.

Latest posts

Back