• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 New Beauties....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascade Pete

40 Cal.
Reaction score
a CVA Frontier and a CVA Mountain Rifle, I have managed to find in the last 2 weeks..Both .50..
Firearms002.jpg

Mountain Rifle has a "Made In USA" Douglas 1 in 66" twist...Frontier Rifle has no markings...

For What it is worth...I own these two and just took this picture in My back Yard about 20 Minutes ago...Just so the Mods Know,,,,

Looks like they're in great shape.

Cascade Pete said:
For What it is worth...I own these two and just took this picture in My back Yard about 20 Minutes ago...Just so the Mods Know,,,,

Why would that matter?

Little Red Letters saying You can only post pics of Your own stuff appeared above My post..Just thought I would clarify...BTW....Both rifles are in great shape..Nice clean and smooth barrels. The Mountain rifle is a beast for accuracy with a PRB....

nice guns, for what its worth, that little reminder above the pics is above everyone's pictures on the photo thread, the moderators are much nicer than you think, if you screw up and post in the wrong place they just move your stuff quietly.

I have always admired those CVA Mountain rifles and one again I am asking myself why I dont own one , nice Photo :thumbsup:

Very nice rifles.... :thumbsup: How do you decide on which one to take to the woods with you... :hmm:

Nice rifles! ... I've owned several CVA mountain rifles in the past and took a CVA Frontier kit and cut it down in barrel, forearm and stock to make a smaller version for my oldest son, and eventually was passed down to three of his younger brothers! .. It was a great way to get my kid's started in shooting black powder and that oldest son even took a state junior championship with it when he was 12 years old. ... I'm really getting old! .. He is now 42!

Rick .. :shocked2: :(

Congratulations on some nice looking rifles! Hope you enjoy them, looks like they will be a blast :wink:

Tough decision which to take to the woods. They both shoot well with PRB, But the Mountain Rifle is the better of the two. May Take it down and brown/plum all the furniture and tone the stock down a bit...Have a flint trade rifle in .69 that is being built by Yours Truley..Will post pics when that is done. May not be until spring...

I had a Mountain Rifle almost exactly like yours except it was browned. I am not 100% positive but I think it had six screws on the patch box. Does that mean it was a kit gun? I foolishly sold that rifle. It seemed absolutley nessacary at the time but I cant remember what I needed the money for now.

I have the Mountain rifle stock and a matching Douglas barrel and a few bits of hardware. One day I will build it all into a nice .45 mountain rifle. These are very nice rifles.

Actually, according to the research I have done, The early Mt. Rifles had the 4 screw patch box, and the later Spanish ones had the 2 screw patch box..Have not seen one with 6, as of Yet..Looking at browning this one and doing a Traditional Finish on the Stock...They just seem to look better that way..In My opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a picture of the one I had. It had a 4 screw patch box. Dont know where I came up with 6?

Nice rifle set:

I had one like on the bottom I built from a Kit. It was extremely accurate for a CVA sold it to a friend so he would have something to deer hunt with.
He passed on years ago have no idea where it went.

Back