• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Model colt dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poor Private

58 Cal.
Reaction score
One of the civil war vendors that I get emailed from has for sale:
Colt Manufactured 1st Model Colt Dragoon. New in box at a price of $599.95. Good deal or not? He only has one.

3700 2nd Generation 1st Model Dragoons were made by Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc. in the F series from 1980 to 1982. In 100% condition they're listed at $650 in the Fifth Edition (2007) of The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms.

The Signature Series 1st Model Dragoons were built by Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. from 1998 to 2002. The Blue Book lists the same value for these guns.

Many people do not consider the Signature Series (aka 3rd Generation) as authentic Colt firearms. There is disagreement about this; some say Colt will not provide an authentication letter, others claim to have received one.

I bought a Signature Series 3rd Model Dragoon at auction four years ago; it is a beautiful firearm, very well finished. They are characterized by a silver plated backstrap with the Sam Colt signature.
636.jpg

The Blue Book is only a guide. Actual prices can and do vary considerably in either direction.

Good deal or not at $599... depends on your intended use. If you are going to shoot it I would suggest shopping around for a used Colt or a used Signature Series Colt. If it is to have as a collectable or investment then NIB (New in the Box) is better in general unless you find a bargain.

I have recently seen several Colt Dragoons, 2nd and 3rd Models at gunshows for under $500 asking price. One had no box and a bit of minor rust on the case colers. It was $425 out the door. Most sellers want around $650 like mykeal referenced or more.

To help quickly identify the Signature Series guns look for the " Sam Colt " signature engraved into the upper backstrap on unaltered Signature Series revolvers.

Mykeal gave very good information.

As to the Colt Factory Letters mykeal mentioned I am not sure if they are available currently on Signature Series. I doubt it, but Colt Archive Properties LLC may have gotten the records from the makers of the Signature Series (coltsmfg.com website has the historical letter info. but out of date).

I do have in hand the " 2009 Colt Archive Services Price List " picked up from Kathy Hoyt the Colt Historian at Colt's gunshow table at the Las Vegas Antique Arms show several weeks ago.

After the original Percussion Models pricing in the Revolvers section of the 2009 price list, after a bunch of named models there appears: " Reproduction Black Powder models " letter costs $75. Ambiguous at best.

I think there were " Factory Letters of Authenticity " issued with some of the more fancy or limited models of Signature Series. These may have been done thru Colt since they had a licensing agreement back then with Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. If Colt, the letter should have the raised, embossed, historian seal about the size of a half-dollar.

Probably way more information than you wanted. :yakyak: :grin:

Sounds like a Signature Series gun. It probably is a good deal at that price, but it is hard to state for sure without seeing the gun. Some Sig Series guns are well made with fine fit and finish. Others look like they were assembled by drunken chimps in a dark closet--parts were polished separately and then assembled so that there are edges everywhere and parts don't line up smoothly and polishing lines running in all directions. Check it over carefully before you buy it. Caveat emptor definitely applies with these guns!

Back