• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1lb =7,000. Or does it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you weigh black powder, 7000 grain per pound, with a scale.
When you go to subsitudes, to get equevlent loads, you measure by volume. They weigh less per unit volume.
A BP measure will give 100 grains by weight and volume. Subsitudes will give the same energy by volume but would give dangerously over pressure if you used the same weight as a max BP load.
I have found a substitute that I have used weighs 70% as much as BP for equal volumes.
Yes you can weigh BP with a scale for accurate loads. I pre measure for range time. A scale for BP. Volume measure for substitutes.

The finer the granulation, the more weight per volume. Think of a bucketful of basket balls. Then base balls. The golf balls.
Each would leave less unfilled space..

Speaking of sports balls, ever notice the further someone makes it up the corporate ladder the smaller their balls get ? Street guys Basketball, Shop floor guys bowling, low level football, mid level Tennis and corporate exec's golf?

7,000 grns = 1 pound of powder.
70 grns per shot = 100 shots.
100 count Box of Hornadys .530 roundball weight = A little over 3 pounds..
Oddly enough, “I” have found 70 grns by volume, by “My” powder measure to work well in most of the .50 & .54 cal rifles I’ve owned.

So in reality, it depends on the volume your measure actually throws, the grade of powder you are shooting & how much “YOU” pour down the barrel each load...

I was trying g to figure out how many bangs I can get per pound, or pretty close to it.

You can calculate it, but ACTUAL field results will be different, due to spillage in measuring, or filling the powder measure a little differently each time, size of the loads, variation in how the grains settle in the measure each time, etc. As a rule of thumb, the smaller the charges, the greater the absolute numerical deviation from your calculated shot count per pound is going to be.

Feathers and sand are measured by the avoirdupois scale of 16 ounces (7000 grains) to the pound. Each is the same weight. Neither is heavier.
Lead is measured on the apothecary's scale of 12 ounces to the pound (5760 grains). Not a true conversion. A pound of feathers or sand is heavier than a pound of lead.
Modern convention measures both by the avoirdupois system of weights so a pound is a pound is a pound.
a pound of anything still weighs a pound...feathers,sand lead.

This has to be the dumbest thread I've seen on this site, EVER! This is why I don't go to public ranges where I could be exposed to someone loading a ML next to me. Just a reminder to the OP, 1 lb. actually is equal to 7000 grains. I know the volume thing has confused you somewhat, but be assured that the 1 lb = 7000 grains is the standard that the rest of the world still goes by. I was going to ask Zonie to stop this, but I see he has joined the fray & asked that I now think in cubic centimeters & consider the "density" of the powder, which I haven't a clue. Covid madness must be worse than I thought.
If you don't like what is being discussed you could just scroll on by.

We have absolutely NO control over how much you throw away by spilling it. Of course, I'm working on the principal that you are asking a serious question, but if you are just joshing with the rest of us, for Pete's sake give it a rest - this mixing of measurement standards sure is getting tiresome.
If you don't like what is being discussed here then don't get involved.

7,000 grns = 1 pound of powder.
70 grns per shot = 100 shots.
100 count Box of Hornadys .530 roundball weight = A little over 3 pounds..
Oddly enough, “I” have found 70 grns by volume, by “My” powder measure to work well in most of the .50 & .54 cal rifles I’ve owned.

So in reality, it depends on the volume your measure actually throws, the grade of powder you are shooting & how much “YOU” pour down the barrel each load...
I wasn't going for exact numbers. I didn't know if there was a big difference in being that the powder is sold by weight and the shots measured in volume.

Cubic centimeters are a whole lot better than stretched out ones.
View attachment 70252

When they are in the shape of a cube their a lot easier to step on and squish.

As for this thread, there are some new members who are just learning about black powder and how it is measured for muzzleloading. This thread is for them.
If you don't want to read the postings in it, I suggest that you just skip over it and go on to the next thread that interests you.
Well said and thank you. Seems there are some who can't just do that. Have to add their 2 cents . If the post is not to your liking then scroll on past.

Surely with a corset the density would increase, because the grains are being squashed together.
They would if there is enough of them.a pound of feathers takes up more space then a pound of salt. Both weigh a pound but there is more air space in the feathers. You can compress the feathers in to the same space as the salt, or a pound of lead, but it takes a lot of compression
So three f with smaller grains will fit close together and be more dense. The bigger two f won’t compress tighter with just the weight of the powder in a small one pound can or seventy grain charger. The rough edges of the powder grains them selves are enough to over come the compression of just the weight of the powder on top of it.
Now you load you gun and you compress your charge there is a good chance that 1,2,3or 4 compress in to the same volume

Not to be a smart a_s, just keep a record of how many shots you get out of a newly opened can of powder. That should answer your question.

Latest posts

Back