• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

19th Century EDC Scenario

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Tranter.

2nd option, a Tranter

54-Bore-and-120-Bore-Tranter-Revolvers-54bore.png
Reminds me of the English Bulldog revolvers

This would depend on where I am and what I do. If in a “civilized“ community a Colt 51 Navy with a shortened barrel because of its light weight and handling characteristics.

If in a wilder area, a Colt Army or 58 Remington for the larger caliber. I prefer the ergonomics of the Army, but the Remington can be reloaded faster with a spare cylinder.

There is little evidence that people carried spare loaded cylinders for faster reloads back in the day, for several reasons.
If I am going to be carrying around that much steel as a burden, I’m going to go ahead and carry two complete pistols instead.

But since this is a theoretical discussion, anything goes, and practicality is not of the first importance.

Good point. My experience with these revolvers is from Cowboy Action Shooting. The cylinder reload is common when such is called for. I am familiar with this sort of reload being used historically, but also know that multiple revolvers was probably more common, especially during the Civil war.

There is little evidence that people carried spare loaded cylinders for faster reloads back in the day, for several reasons.
If I am going to be carrying around that much steel as a burden, I’m going to go ahead and carry two complete pistols instead.

But since this is a theoretical discussion, anything goes, and practicality is not of the first importance.

The cast of Bushrangers below, agree. Look at all that iron.

the-legend-of-ben-hall-guns.jpg

Bloody Bill Anderson had 6 Colt Navy models on him when he was killed. Multiple guns yes, multiple cylinders no. Relic firearms are dug all the time. I have seen a lot of excavated revolvers dropped during Cavalry engagements but not dropped cylinders. I believe the cylinder changing stuff is all Hollywood, come to think of it I have never seen a period spare cylinder pouch from the Unpleasantness Just my opinion though.

Would be a 49 Pocket for me. Actually had a silvered and engraved original made in 1851. Was a dandy little thing. But then, like today I would probably avoid EDC.

I'm going to have a pretty horse.. so weight isn't it a problem :) 1847 Walker six shots, Colt Army 1860.. both 44.. and a prototype of a Winchester Rifle 66 again 44 :)

Did he have a concealed weapon(s) permit or a permit to carry???

How does one conceal 12 revolvers on the person?

If you got 12 guns is like having spare 4/5 Glock 22 magazines.. they would come handy during a gun battle.

The old adage is still true: the fastest reload is another gun.

Latest posts

Back