• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

19th Century EDC Scenario

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, let's pretend that you live in the U.S. in 1863. You aren't a solider, and unmentionable technology does not exist. You live in an area where you can freely carry a revolver on your person. Cost is no problem, neither is ease or difficulty of obtaining your choice...
What is your main carry revolver? And what is option #2?

Me, my main carry is a Colt McCollugh 1860 Army*....My option #2 is .44cal Starr revolver*.

* I choose these due to being .44cal,and not too heavy like a Walker or 3rd Model Dragoon*

This would depend on where I am and what I do. If in a “civilized“ community a Colt 51 Navy with a shortened barrel because of its light weight and handling characteristics.

If in a wilder area, a Colt Army or 58 Remington for the larger caliber. I prefer the ergonomics of the Army, but the Remington can be reloaded faster with a spare cylinder.

It's 1863 remember? Where are you going to get a Sheriff's model Remington?
[/QUOTE

Not to haggle, but I believe the 58' started production in 1861, patented in 1858. Remington Beals army 1861-1862. No mention of shorter barrels except the ones cut down. However , colt had a police model with several barrel options.

I‘m still trying to figure out what an ‘EDC Scenario’ is.... :dunno:
Asking for a friend....
Every Day Carry.

1. 1860 New Model Army with the barrel and loading lever cut to 5.5”.
2. 1860 New Model Army with an 8” barrel.

These guns are used to fight my way to a rifle and shotgun, and thence to my friends with their rifles and shotguns.

Other than having 1 or 2(1851 Navy .36 & .44cal.) for my on going rebuilding of my collection, I've never been a fan of "Sheriff Models". Even here in the real 21st Century World, I'll take a full size unmentionable over a compact or sub-compact. That's why I always wear a jacket.... 😁
1849 Colt Pocket Models, 1862 Police Colts, and 1863 Rem. NM Pocket I feel different about because they were a real model available from the factory.

I'm just funny that way.

Woodnbow,
Thanks for clearing that up for me. It had me scratching my head... I thought I was going to have to buy another vowel. Instead I decided to spin the wheel and use a lifeline.
Several years ago, people were talking about the placement of objects on their person. I struggled for days trying to figure out what “MOB” meant. I knew what “SOB” meant. So, I had to ask. “MOB” meant “middle of back”. Kind of like “SOB”.
I myself carry Colt’s greatest contribution to the handgun world. In the circles I travel in we refer to ‘EDC’ as “Heat”, or “Cover”, “Second”, “Hideout” or “Backup”.

I have to admit, EDC is a new one for me. Thank you again. :doh: :thumb::cool:

A Tranter.

2nd option, a Tranter

54-Bore-and-120-Bore-Tranter-Revolvers-54bore.png

Back