• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1992 Vintage Pietta 1862

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Correction -the revolver is a '61 navy. Looks like I may be getting one of them on a trade. According to code it appears to have been built in 1992. It has a steel frame and has been hardly used. It seems to function and lock up fine. I was wondering:

a) what is it worth on a trade?
b) what are the best replacement nipples for it?
c) what about spare parts, seeing as it predates CNC

Oh, and if I get it, what diameter ball is best? I have an old Lyman .375 around here somewhere.

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure what it is worth on a trade.

Replacement nipples would either be the Slixshot nipples or the #11 with the correct thread pitch from Track of the Wolf and correct cone height.

Dixie Gun Works is a good as any for spare parts. Most will require some fitting.

The best diameter ball can only be determined after you have the cylinder in hand and measure the diameter of the chamber mouth. You want a ball about 0.005" larger in diameter than the chamber mouth. The best ball size for my 36 caliber revolvers has been 0.380". The chamber mouths were 0.375"

It will be interesting to see what the chamber diameters are, if they differ from the revolvers recently produced.

Thanks for all the replies! I wound up getting the gun on a trade. It locks up good and the timing is correct. The gun is very clean and the wedge is still tight enough that a nylon hammer is handy.

Latest posts

Back