• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1984 Cochran lock (spring) R.H. Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahhntnful

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If I cannot locate a spring for my 1984 Cochran lock that is on my Doug Anderson .58,
What am I to do?
Can a "Smith" scratch build a new one?
Is there any way the busted one can be repaired ?
Is there anybody out there that knows where one can be found?
PLEASE HELP! I LOVE MY GUN !
Thanks & God Bless
Rare Hare Brown

I'm betting one can be made, but I sincerely doubt repairs to a spring can be made. I know what you mean about those great locks. I picked up one (lefty flint) and liked it so much I tracked down another just for spare parts. At the time I was looking (2 years ago) individuals still had parts. But I'm betting a competent smith could fabricate something as basic as a spring, and you won't have to go on an Easter egg hunt for an original.

Of course a new spring can be made. Dixie may actually have some parts, as I recall they once sold them. If not Dixie has all kinds of misc parts and springs. Chances are one can be fitted to your lock. Don't know where your spring broke, but more than one original was taken apart to find old clock spring pieces wedged in to make the lock work.

considering the labor and time to make a new spring from scratch, it might be cheaper to fit a newer lock to the mortise.

I did look at DGW they had one Blank but that blank did not look like anything that could be modified to fit my lock, it is the main spring and it is broken in the main bend of the spring.
thanks for your post

Back