• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1868 springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamechaser

40 Cal
Reaction score
I believe I have an early Us Springfield before they converted them to trap door

Not too familiar with this rifle so any information would be greatly appreciated

16728517660257611010067870051020.jpg
16728518107757022145222433314688.jpg

Looks like a '63 lock plate with a '61 hammer, '61 barrel and '61 stock.

The plate screws are too short. They should be close to flush with the plate.

Nice original condition.

Is that normal to have mismatched parts
A lot has happened with those rifles in 155 years. I would say mismatched parts is normal to a point. As in locks being rebuilt.

The lock plate looks like the newest addition. It is less rusty than the other parts. Or it was cleaned of its rust.

I haven't cleaned it yet, I'll tear it down and see what is up with the screws

Everything seems to be in really good shape. No pitting of any kind, and the stock is in really good shape

Grab a magnifying glass and see if you can read the acceptance cartouche on the left stock panel.

Should be three letters in heavy/curly script inside a box.

The letters will be the initials of the factory inspector.

Looks like a nice honest 1861. Check for the barrel date on top just ahead of the tang. Not always visible, but if the barrel and lock dates match it's a good sign that it may not have been tampered with too much.

I can see the Box on the left side of the stock but I cannot read what it says. There is a u m or GM stamped on the side of the barrel. I cannot see a date on top though

It is an 1861 pattern rifle musket manufactured in1863 under contract by Bridesburg. From what I can see by the 2 photos everything looks original. The seemingly empty screw hole near the top and partially covered by the hammer is for the rear lock screw which as Phil Coffins says may not be screwed in all the way. The 2 lock screws are of different lengths with the top one being shorter so as to not touch the hammer. The empty screw hole near the bottom of the plate held the sear and also the lower end of the bridle. The hole above it is for the sear spring screw which doesn't seem to be screwed in full length.

It took quite a bit of work to get the lock off, both screws are in all the way.

Back