• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1863 Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a second hand one at a local gun store a few years back- it has been a solid performer. Has a large bore- pin gauges measured the bore to be .581”, so I size my Minie’s to .579”- shoots great.

Owned two, but just not my sort of gun, however with a sized bullet or PRB that are fine shooters. And will put paid to most North American game. Val Forget even hunted Africa with one

Owned two, but just not my sort of gun, however with a sized bullet or PRB that are fine shooters. And will put paid to most North American game. Val Forget even hunted Africa with one
Forgett hunted in Africa with a highly modified version of the Zouave that Antonio Zoli built to his specs called the Buffalo Hunter. Shortened stock & extra thick barrel capable of taking the 200 grains of black powder it was tested with. Not your everyday Zouave!

Forgett hunted in Africa with a highly modified version of the Zouave that Antonio Zoli built to his specs called the Buffalo Hunter. Shortened stock & extra thick barrel capable of taking the 200 grains of black powder it was tested with. Not your everyday Zouave!
I didn’t know that. Saw the photos of antalope taken with it, just assumed it was a navy arms zouave

Hello, I have one with heavy barrel for several years, never had problems, precise enough to have a 29-inch rod, I use it for informal shooting and hunting, miniè 560 grains with 95 grains of n ° 3

Bought one from Dixie Gun Works back in the '70s for about $89.00. Never could get it to group well until I joined the North-South Skirmish Association and found out you needed to size the Minnie ball,s as noted by Tenngun, based on the actual bore diameter of your rifle. Then, it became a tack driver. Killed three deer with it years ago.

My first muzzle loader was a Zoli Zouave, bought for $70, in 1969. Mine would print a three shot one inch group, off of a rest, at 50 yards. My load was an as cast, not sized, Lyman 575213 Minie, over 45 grains of Goex FFFg.

Old Hawkeye said:

DO NOT load the Zouave or “Buffalo Hunter” rifles with 200 grains of black powder. The original article from a 1977 Navy Arms Catalog states they used 125 grains in the Buffalo Hunter. See article below with the Buffalo Hunter paragraphs circled in red.

The 180 grain FFF load was used in the “Hawken Hunter” which has a octagon barrel 1-1/8” across the flats. This is a much more stout barrel capable of using these heavier loads.
Ron

12463D64-954B-4011-9FE9-4B4633C0F91F.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 1963 Zouave (Antonio Zoli barrel) which I built from a kit in the late 70s. It is an excellent shooter with the no longer available Lee Modern Minie 470 Grain (aka Trash Can design) with 65-70 grains of FF powder. It is accurate as a rifled musket and you can shoot all day with this rifle with this load.
Ron

Last edited:
The "Zouave" is a reproduction of the 1863 Remington. There were many made by various manufacturers in Italy. Of those, the "Zoli" is one of the best and capable of fine accuracy when loaded properly. Many of our competition shooters in the North South Skirmish Association use them either as a first competition musket or as a very capable backup.

Latest posts

Back