• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1863 Sharps Sporting Rifle options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sound Tribe

40 Cal
Reaction score
I see that Pedersoli has a choice of 54 or 45 caliber for the 1863 Sharps Sporting Rifle models

Which caliber would be best for accuracy rather than power?

I would prefer the 45 but I know the 54 has multiple options for bullets and molds and is the only caliber for the carbines, so being more common is a plus

What would be the best 45 caliber bullet to use with this gun in paper cartridges?

Also I see the pedersolis have a blued octagonal barrel but also have seen some pictures and descriptions saying it's browned... is this something you can choose or dependant on the year/version purchased?

And lastly would I be better off going for a used Shiloh rather than a brand new 2023+ model Pedersoli? I'm not sure if I can keep a new Shiloh within the budget right now

Any information to my many questions would be greatly appreciated

You'll probably have a tough time finding a percussion Shiloh, even more so in .45. Shiloh or Pedersoli, I'd go with .54 for the reasons you stated. My Pedersoli .54 Sporter is very accurate. It's browned. If you do go with a Pedersoli I suggest that you send it to Charlie Hahn or Larry Flees for a breechblock modification that eliminates gas leakage problems that can find up the action with as little as five shots. Some Shilohs have the same problem. Go to the N-SSA website's bulletin board and search those names. You'll get plenty of details and their addresses. www.n-ssa.net.

Yeah, I've already talked to Larry. Unfortunately it's about a 4-6month turn around time right now. But still worth it in my opinion.

I've already found a store with new stock Pedersolis, 45 or 54 for the sporting model...
They also have 1859 Carbines as well for a good price... on that note, how do they compare to the 1863 carbines as far as performance?

I'm just not sure which route to go so more experienced member's information is a huge help.

As far as ammo, I see the many molds and repro civil war era bullets in 54 only, wouldn't be sure what to use for 45 without doing a lot more research. I am sort of leaning towards the 54 just for that reason/ease of use

If I do get offered a percussion Shiloh (i have a post up) I will obviously go with whatever caliber I can get.
I'm going to give the store a call back though and double check if their Pedersoli sporting models are browned or blued, I'm really wondering what dictates that or if it's normally an option from the factory... not really a fan of the browned versions to be honest

Appreciate the info, I need to check out the NSSA forums more often too

Yeah, I've already talked to Larry. Unfortunately it's about a 4-6month turn around time right now. But still worth it in my opinion.

I've already found a store with new stock Pedersolis, 45 or 54 for the sporting model...
They also have 1859 Carbines as well for a good price... on that note, how do they compare to the 1863 carbines as far as performance?

I'm just not sure which route to go so more experienced member's information is a huge help.

As far as ammo, I see the many molds and repro civil war era bullets in 54 only, wouldn't be sure what to use for 45 without doing a lot more research. I am sort of leaning towards the 54 just for that reason/ease of use

If I do get offered a percussion Shiloh (i have a post up) I will obviously go with whatever caliber I can get.
I'm going to give the store a call back though and double check if their Pedersoli sporting models are browned or blued, I'm really wondering what dictates that or if it's normally an option from the factory... not really a fan of the browned versions to be honest

Appreciate the info, I need to check out the NSSA forums more often too
Pedersoli has two .45 cal ringtail moulds for the Sharps but the bases may not fit Hahn's tubes if you plan to use them. The .54s are too big and I'll bet the .45s are too small.

mine is 0.54 i think it's a better than0.45 not so high pressure and more historical correct and a little lighter

S 3.JPG

mine is 0.54 i think it's a better than0.45 not so high pressure and more historical correct and a little lighter

View attachment 314028
What type of bullets are you using there and where did you get the packaging/tubes? I know there are a lot of good sources out there.

Also, is that tang sight from the factory? Wondering what a good option would be for a Shiloh model

I use the Pedersoli original bullet mold 0.541, the tubes is my fabrication, i use compost bags paper , cutted in rhomboidal format, tang sight is also Pedersoli , in Europe it's maybe the best option , maybe in USA it is more producers . Here cartridge without lube , with another paper , craftpaper in this case

Attachments

• IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    706.4 KB · Views: 0
I use the Pedersoli original bullet mold 0.541, the tubes is my fabrication, i use compost bags paper , cutted in rhomboidal format, tang sight is also Pedersoli , in Europe it's maybe the best option , maybe in USA it is more producers . Here cartridge without lube , with another paper , craftpaper in this case
Ah okay, didn't notice Norway until now! Very cool though, thank you for the info.

I was told the Richmond Sharps bullets do well out of the 1863 Shiloh sporting model rifles, as well as the Lee R.E.AL. bullets. Going to be testing those before I decide if I should pickup a ringtail bullet mold or not.

Lots of info to read up on, experienced shooters input is very helpful though so if anyone has suggests for Shiloh guns, please let me know.

This Shiloh Sharps its maybe the best rifle but Its very hard to find and buy in Europe , we have Pedersoli , also som old marks , and Chiappa , Pedersoli produce in my opinion best Sharps rifle and accessories in Europe , Uberti also but no percussion in Uberti version, and i like to try this Richmond bullet from Eras Gone but its a little costly, next time i will try with round bullet , less plumb and less recoil , for handshooting

Back