• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 which maker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrett

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've decided on an 1860 and am now trying to find out which maker does the best job. Any ideas? I've heard good things about Uberti.

Thanks,

Dan

Uberti and Pietta are about the same these days but the Pietta is still cheaper.

I've recently had the opportunity to compare a Pietta and a Uberti '60 Army side by side. The Uberti was clearly of a finer fit and finish and had a smoother action. In detail it more accurately resembled a real Colt. The Pietta, as previously stated, is somewhat cheaper. Guess you get what you pay for.....

It sounds like the Uberti is the winner and I'll be calling Dixie this next week. Thanks for the info.

Dan

If you're not in a real big hurry to get the revolver, you can sometimes find a pretty good deal on one of the on-line auctions. I've picked up a couple that way, also one on this forum's classified ads. In fact, there are several Piettas' listed right now. Emery

Uberti guns are made in different grades. Cimarron buys their best. Cimarron costs a bit more, but you get a bit more. However, you can get a bummer with any company.

In a post about colts shooting high, were you refering to an Uberti 1860 Army? If so, you said you peened the front sight. How much higher did you have to make it? My Uberti front sight is 5/32" high, and shoot a foot to high at 25yds.Just trying to get an idea. I can make a new sight if nesacery. Worked on the hammer notch with a stone but don't want to take it down any further.

-----is it proper to put a dovetailed front sight on C&B revolvers?----- :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Which revolver are you thinking of putting the dove-tailed sight on? Some are easier than others. I have seen some original Colt Navies with dove-tailed front sights and some Remingtons, too. A revolver with a round barrel would be a little harder to do, but I think it is possible and probably was done in period. Hamilton Bowen does some elegant dove-tailed front sights on Colt SAAs, so it can be done in a handsome fashion.

Fitter, it was a Uberti. I don't remember how high it shot, but somewhere near a foot. You have to be very careful, and go with a lot of light hammer blows, rather than a few hard blows, and of course you will end up with a more narrow blade. In my case this was not a problem at all, but could be if you have problems seeing the narrow blade.

How high is your front sight now? Trying to get an idea of how high so I can either make one or peen existing sight. AKA California Kid

I have two by the same manufacture one from cabelas and the other from tradishons and the finish is better on the tradishons and it has serial on both fraim and barrol.

id go with cimmaron/ Uberti. i have a Walker made by them. fantastic. quality inside and out is excellent. Very well made and detailed.

I'd see if I could find a Colt Blackpowder revolver. Definitely the best of the lot, though you'll pay for it (and don't let anyone tell you they're made in Italy... raw forgings did come from Uberti, but the guns were finished and assembled in the USA and are recognized by Colt as the real thing). Other than that, I'd go for the Uberti for superior fit and finish over the Pietta.

Third generation signature series isn't recognized by Colt. They weren't made by Colt, weren't assembled by Colt and Colt won't work on them.

Back