• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Experiment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I've done a lot of tinkering with this Pietta 1860 and today tested the latest. I reduced the barrel cylinder gap from the factory .010" to .0025" to see if how fouling would be affected. After 18 shots the pistols action is just as easy as before firing at all. I hadn't brought enough components to continue but will in the future. At fifteen yards from a rest the impact is different then off hand but the group shows promise. Off hand the pistol shot to point of aim but my groups are a bit larger. Load is 30 grains of 3f Goex a soft felt wad soaked in SPG, .454" ball and Remington #10 caps. This adjustment required some machine work and re adjusting the wedge fit to compensate for moving the barrel back. This is the first six shots, not only no problems with fouling but the groups are smaller.
IMG_0290 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I've done a lot of tinkering with this Pietta 1860 and today tested the latest. I reduced the barrel cylinder gap from the factory .010" to .0025" to see if how fouling would be affected. After 18 shots the pistols action is just as easy as before firing at all. I hadn't brought enough components to continue but will in the future. At fifteen yards from a rest the impact is different then off hand but the group shows promise. Off hand the pistol shot to point of aim but my groups are a bit larger. Load is 30 grains of 3f Goex a soft felt wad soaked in SPG, .454" ball and Remington #10 caps. This adjustment required some machine work and re adjusting the wedge fit to compensate for moving the barrel back. This is the first six shots, not only no problems with fouling but the groups are smaller.
I have also change
I have also played around with the cylinder gap and like you I did not have any issue,Ive made my own barrel wedges to adjust the gap,Different combinations of wads and powder I can shoot out to 30 yards with good tight groups Freehand.My 1800”s are all pretty forgiving.

Two things leap to mind. One, that’s pretty good shooting... and two, that’s got to be the nicest wood iv ever seen on a Pietta!

Back