• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Army replicas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, new member here.

I know the subject gets flogged to death, but which of the currently produced 1860 Army replicas seems to need the least amount of tuning, arbor fitting, etc. to function satisfactorily out of the box?

Sorry, I just realized this is a duplicate post.

All will benefit from some tuning right out of the box. The Pietta will probably have the best arbor fit. The Uberti may have the best finish. A gun from Taylor or Cimmaron may require a better level of finish than one from Mid South or Dixie Gun Works.
I beg your pardon but do you mean the higher end retailers have a better level of finish? What do you mean by “they may require” one?

Sometimes the higher end retailers negotiate with the suppliers to require or specify a higher level of finish than the standard level of finish. Doesn't always happen on issues like arbor length, but they get a few extra minutes in the polishing assembly line.

Hi, new member here.

I know the subject gets flogged to death, but which of the currently produced 1860 Army replicas seems to need the least amount of tuning, arbor fitting, etc. to function satisfactorily out of the box?

Sorry, I just realized this is a duplicate post.

What happened there? Cololab, to give you a better answer, what do you want to do with your 1860? Target shoot? Plink, as in range toy? Round ball, or conical? Ive bought a Pietta and Uberti this past year. If you tell me your uses, i might could give you a helpful answer. Not being a smart aleck, i dont want to waste your with a useless answer. Bad Karma may have some good input too, he has the koolest 1860 on the internet.

My bad for being ambiguous as to the reason for my initial post.

I’m probably not going to do much more than occasional black powder shooting. It’s a hobby that I played with many decades ago with a relatively inexpensive brass frame ‘51 Navy replica, and I’ve decided to go down that road again.

So, something that is more or less good to go out of the box will quite likely be all I really need. It appears that one of the Pietta steel ‘51 or ‘60 models should be acceptable.

Thanks to those who have offered their views.

Last edited:
They’re both good outta the box… but they both need tuning outta the box too.
Both brands I deburr, fit bolt* and clean up hand slot before I ever shoot ‘em.
( * I can’t stand seeing a shiny ring being scraped into a new cylinder!)

Guns of the last several years are a real improvement over those prior, for both Uberti and Pietta. Both benefit from basic tuning. The Uberti guns usually have less obvious proof and import markings.

All will benefit from some tuning right out of the box. The Pietta will probably have the best arbor fit. The Uberti may have the best finish. A gun from Taylor or Cimmaron may require a better level of finish than one from Mid South or Dixie Gun Works.
That hasn't been true in a long time. Cimarron was paying Uberti an extra $30 back in the 1980's for a little extra finish work. Today, they are all the same.

Mid-South is a retailer. Taylor's, Cimarron, Dixie Gun Works, Stoeger and EMF are the major importers.

I am very pleased with my factory stock Pietta 1860 Army. Very reliable, and amazingly accurate. It will put 6 round balls under a 50 cent piece at 25 yards (benched, I'm not that good!) and very near the point of aim, about an inch high and to the right. Killed several deer with it, legal where I live, and has performed well. 200 grain bullets at 750-800 fps zip right through a deer, and will break the off shoulder if hit. Great short range deer gun. Had it about 15 years now, bought it new for $189, and it came with an extra cylinder. Those days are long gone.

I have one of each. A Pietta and Uberti. I like them both. I think the Uberti has a better finish and the stock is shaped a bit different. But they both needed to be smoothed internally somewhat. I’d get either one again if I had to do it over again.

Attachments

• 195E5775-25E7-4F29-BFBA-3B928B384342.jpeg
    195E5775-25E7-4F29-BFBA-3B928B384342.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 0
Wow, those guys covered everything I would have said. One thing i wi,l add, they will probably shoot high. VTI Gun parts sells a front sight for the Uberti conversion revolvers. They are easily fit to your gun and its the correct height to zero my Pietta at 25 yards with a ball . Part number UB900015. Piettas need the base of the blade thinned a touch, it was the perfect amount to correct windage in my gun.
PasrorB, im glad to hear you're having good results deer hunting. Im working on setting up an Uberti for deer hunting with conicals. Ive shot 1 each with my 58 remington, old army, and one with a conical for the old army in a modern gun loaded at old army speed. You're right, they zip right through. And when the action is slow, you have something nice to look at!

Back