• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Army Belt and Holster & Cartridge Box Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komander

32 Cal
Reaction score
Last year I made this belt and holster for my then new to me 1860 Army reproduction revolver. I recently acquired a paper cartridge kit and wanted to add a cartridge box to the rig. However in doing some research I found some issues.First all the boxes I have seen are military, both originals and reproductions. Did civilians even bother keeping a box of cartridges on their belt or was it considered a waste because in a civilian gun fight you'd never have a chance to reload, unlike in a battle where there might be a lull.

The second issue is that unlike cartridge boxes for rifles and carbines there appears to be no wooden or metal liner box for the cartridges, the pistol boxes are just empty leather boxes. I thought that perhaps soldiers would just stuff a factory package or two of cartridges into the leather box but I'm not sure. Finally I am wondering where the caps would have gone. My understanding is that they were included in the packaging with the factory ammunition so perhaps a cap pouch, either separate or integrated into the cartridge box isn't the way to go. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1860 army leather close.jpg
    1860 army leather close.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
I know they had a little leather cap pouch on their belt. Your right about caps in the packaging. At least they were included in rifled musket munitions.

Back