• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 New Army Target revolver locking up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncmrkhd

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a Pietta 1858 remington target and its hanging up after the first 6 shots . First 6 shots all works great but then it wont cycle with out help of left hand a bit,not much. After the second cyl is fired the pistol will work like a charm again but after loading and trying to fire again it hangs up. I've cleaned the revolver and alls good for the first 6 shots again but then its hangs all over again. I shoot 3f pyrodex so its hard to believe its a fouling prob. I've tried from 17-25 g, with filler, with out filler , powder and lubed wad-ball. Nothing seemed to help. The cyl seems to get in a bind so I tried a few drops of Baristol and that seem to help but only for the first 3 shots in the second cyl. There is VERY LITTLE slop in the fitting of the cyl to the frame and I thought this a very good thing but now I wonder is it could be too tight. The gun seems to work fine if I comp clean after I shoot 6 shots but that cant be expected.

Try lubing the cylinder pin with white lithium grease or axle grease. That seems to make quite a difference with both my 1858 Remingtons. I can get 5 or 6 cylinders worth of shooting without binding if I use white lithium

Many Klatch

I shoot Colt clones, but have to agree that the lube is the thing. Some seem to have luck with the lubed wads but my experience is that lithium or homemade beeswax and vegetable oil lubes let me shoot all day.

Want to add an update bout my 1858, remembered I had to use 777 3F when I first got the gun and had no trouble but switched to cheaper powders when I was able to and thats when probs started so I went back to the 777 and alls well, 30 shots and not one hang up. Not real happy bout having to use the 777 as its the most expensive available but atleast the guns useable. I've had 3 guys remark as to how tight my revolver is and I've used all kinds of lube but guess its just the powder , thanks for the help

The Remington lock up problem is something that I have never found a satisfactory solution to.
The design itself is at fault and could have been easily fixed with a very small modification.

Without a protective flange on the front of the cylinder to shield the pin, the powder combustion residue gets deposited directly on the pin and all over the place. I just drop out the cylinder, wipe off the front and the pin, and get on with it. Ads a couple of minutes between loading and firing sequences, but as a black powder shooter, I'm not in a hurry and it gives me time to talk with the envious modern semiautomatic pistol shooters on either side of me at the range.

I agree with FarmerTed and Many Klatch, my Colt cylinder locked up horribly when I started. Buttering it before assembly with homemade beeswax lube lets it shoot a bunch of cylinders with no impairment.

Latest posts

Back