• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i was playing around in the garage and made a die to turn .490 round balls into .453 bullets. do you guys think they are safe to shoot?
IMG_3784_zps3f708552.jpg
[/img]

I don't see any reason that it would not be safe to shoot. The problem would probably be in getting it loaded. Be careful that you don't overload the loading lever.

Me and dad were worried that they might want to tumble in the bore. they are measuring .453

Well it's 36 grains more than a 454 but still less than the conicals. It is longer so you'll need to make room by lowering the powder a little. It should load fairly easy but as has been said do not over stress the load lever! By the way that's a pretty cook ides! Geo. T.

I see no reason why they would tumble in the bore, there is a long section of "bore size" that will keep it lined up.
But I'm guessing that they'll begin to tumble after just a short distance in it's fired ballistic trajectory.

If larger caliber ball, swaged/sized, too fit the revovlver actually worked well for accuracy it would have been common knowledge and recomended now for well over a 100 years.

I'm sure someone would have had that very same idea at least once in history,
I mean if a barrel shape projectile actually worked, nobody would have had to create the flat base bullet and pistol caliber round ball molds would have never had to be made.

Just sayin, :idunno:

It will send a chunk of lead down range though.

The problem with bullets is trying to seat them in the chamber without messing up the alignment and doing it the same everytime. My solutions (well, the most recent experiments) are to use larger diameter front rings and smaller back ends that slip into the chamber and expand to the rifling.

wandconicals_zpse55c8445.jpg

modifiedballmold.jpg

Back