• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1853 Enfield Clay plugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pritchett is an industrial product as a complete ammunition system, not just a bullet. Home hand making requires much care and the originals were industrially made to fine tolerances and close quality control. They were factory made by the many, many millions for military service, despite the extra cost over the Delvigne Minie or Burton. The military wanted a reasonable but consistent accuracy and the Pritchett gave them that together with a constant rate of fire in all weathers from ammunition for as long as needed whilst it had to cope with oceanic sea voyages followed by bullock cart travel over weeks. Hence the care over their packaging as well as production. Brett Gibbon's fine made Pritchett ammunition displays his clear knowledge and considerable investment to make a factory standard cartridge in a tiny company. Everyone I have ever known who experimented with making their own have had a long learning curve to get factory standard results. However, the accuracy of a well made Pritchett does not do badly but I suspect that it does not stabilise as quickly as a Burton. But then the military did not need button size accuracy at short ranges.

Look at https://www.papercartridges.com and FTG Military History and also Paper Cartridges on Youtube.

A good Burton is a worse military choice, but for the few rounds for hunting and target competition, the Burton will give superior accuracy (until it fouls up after a few rounds). Horses for courses. If I want to hunt a deer or compete at a target when I need few shots I would certainly choose a Burton. Were I equipping an army I would unhesitatingly choose a Pritchett.

OT but the 1:78 slow twist Enfield is ideal for a short range Forsyth rifling type patched round ball too.

It really is a shame that we don't have a small army of poor Irish girls and orphans of fallen soilders twisting thousands of these cartridges a day for us. A labor of love really, but outside the realm of historical shooting, unessacary and expensive.

Latest posts

Back