• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 .44 Navy Balistics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrim64

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what the ballistic data would look like for a .44 black powder shooting a .454 ball(140 grains) for say a 25 gr load?

The LYMAN BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL , 2nd Edition shows data for a .44 cap and ball pistol with a 8 inch barrel.

You didn't say what type of black powder but the Lyman book gives the following for GOEX 3Fg under a .451 dia roundball.
20 grains= 640 fps = 610 fps at 25 yards
25 grains = 727 fps = 692 fps at 25 yards
30 grains = 794 fps = 754 fps at 25 yards

With Pyrodex P the velocities with the same diameter roundball were:
20 grains = 739 fps
25 grains = 847 fps
30 grains = 896 fps

Those Lyman manual numbers are pretty accurate. I've run a number of cap and ball loads over a chronagraph and they come very close to what Lyman publishes. My brass frame Colt in 44 loaded with 25 grains of Pyrodex P is the ballistic equivalent to a factory standard loading of the .38 special. Not super impressive but sure enough a killer. All the cap and ball guns make good trail and camp guns.

Don

Just out of curiosity, does the hand book have a listing for 50 and 55 grains in either a 8 or 9 inch barrel? Reason that I ask is that I did get a chance to break the sound barrier with my 3rd Model Dragoon using 45 grains of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad and a .454 ball. Never got to chrono the Walker though...

Thanks and have a great New Years!

Dave

It does list loads for the Walker but they only go up to 45 grains not the full 60 grains the Walker can hold.

45gr Goex .454 ball 983 fps
45gr Pyrodex P .454 ball 1038 fps

Don

Before that 600 to 650 fps and (~140gr) soft lead round ball with 25gr of 3Fg sounds on the wimpy side...

...Remember that the "already made up" paper cartridges with soft conicals had MUCH less powder with maybe a 30% increase in projectile weight.

Also if that pistol of yours has a brass frame, I wouldn't let the charge exceed 20 to 22gr of FFFg with round ball and I wouldn't recommend conicals in a brass framed piece at all.

Round balls are what these C&B revolvers work best with, and they have plenty of "punch" relative to their limitations.

Load Wisely, Shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

PS I've used quite a bit of Pyrodex over the years and it will work suitably--provided the appropriate equivalents for maximum charges are adhered to.

Back