• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1849 As A First "Colt"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1976 my Dad bought our first black powder firearm. It was a second generation Colt 1851 Navy. I was 15. I still believe it to be the prettiest hand gun ever made. As to accuracy, if it was good enough for Wild Bill, it’s good enough for anybody!👍🤣👍
27B25C84-4907-48A7-B7B2-ACF654894930.jpeg

There's a reason why cartridge revolvers and conversions were such a big deal when they became available 😀

Also, SlixShots now offers nipples for Pocket models

In 150 years people will wonder how we used antiquated things like M16's and 9mm pistols in wars, and they'll think dirty shooting, brass cased ammunition that sometimes jammed and was held in simple magazines is old timey and quaint
that 1862 Police model Colt pretty much sits in the rack as an example.
It is seldom shot because of the very small grip frame and it's history of trouble.
Now i jump off the subject sort of.
The first thing to get is a set of good quality GUN SMITH screwdrivers.
Gun screws have a different shape slot than a wood screw. A wood screwdriver will damage the guns screw heads as sure as sunrise.
Especially important with the somewhat soft screws the Italian makers use.
Nothing detracts from the looks of a gun more than ruined screws.
It is not necessary to "gorilla" them in just tight and then check them when cleaning. My r1851 Navy revolver that has been shot 50 or 60 times almost every screw took about a quarter turn to tighten.
Respectfully
Bunk

It is seldom shot because of the very small grip frame and it's history of trouble.
Gun screws have a different shape slot than a wood screw. A wood screwdriver will damage the guns screw heads as sure as sunrise.
It is not necessary to "gorilla" them in just tight and then check them when cleaning. My r1851 Navy revolver that has been shot 50 or 60 times almost every screw took about a quarter turn to tighten.
Respectfully
Bunk
I had to take one apart today at the Range when the mainspring screw decided to loosen, and bind the hammer up

Respectfully
Bunk
I have a set of Grace "Peacemaker " screwdrivers and they are 1000% a must for anyone who shoots Single Actions

I can't stand buggered screws , even on revolvers I "artificially aged"

I enjoy experiencing the leap in technology by shooting cap and ballers for a couple hours, and then bringing out the .45 LC Vaquero for a box of .45

If I were a Cavalry trooper in 1873 trading in a Colt 1860 for a Model P and being able to just punch out brass and put a whole self contained metallic cartridge into the chambers instead of nitrate paper cartridges and capping nipples under stress.......or even worse a flask and loose balls or bullets......I'd be beyond amazed .

After rereading my response, Im afraid that I may have been too gruff.
I have a 1849, but it wasn’t till I bought files, stones, replacement nipples and spent hours, repeatedly watching Duelist1954 video on the 1849, that I was able to get it running right.
With a larger and more popular pistol like the 1851, you are, more than likely, to be able to shoot without having problems.

After rereading my response, Im afraid that I may have been too gruff.
I have a 1849, but it wasn’t till I bought files, stones, replacement nipples and spent hours, repeatedly watching Duelist1954 video on the 1849, that I was able to get it running right.
With a larger and more popular pistol like the 1851, you are, more than likely, to be able to shoot without having problems.
Exactly so. An 1851 or an 1861 Colt either one in .36 caliber. They have nice big frames and big parts. Easy to work on. Very economical of powder and lead.
Get a set of gunsmith screw drivers and a nipple wrench. replace the original nipples with a set of Slixshot replacement nipples.
Have fun
Make smoke
Bunk

Van,
Very cool gun. I have a 62 police, you're right, they're a handy size. Mine hasn't been shot much or sighted in yet, give me time.

1851 Navy or 60 Army would be my choice, depending on your hand size. The standard Navy grip can feel small to some. If you don't want to be bothered with a potential short arbor issue, I'd recommend Pietta, as they don't seem to have those problems. The pocket is small, has cap sucking issues and would not be my first choice as a first C&B revolver.

Latest posts

Back