• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1804 Harpers Ferry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My goal is to reenact War of 1812. Aligned with that, I just purchased a used repro 1804 Harpers Ferry. How do I determine the correct amount of powder to put in the barrel. Although I have little personal flintlock experience, I have been around many who tell me by the sound. I know the "crack" sound others refer to, but I assume there might be another method......

What you have to do now, is a load work-up. You'll need to try different thickness of patches and powder increments. Start with 60gr of 2F or 3F powder and go up 10gr at time. Shoot 5 shot groups for each increment and keep your loading method consistant. Save your targets and measure your group. The smallest group is the load that is best for your rifle. Start with a .015 or .018 thickness patch. Choose a ball that is .01 under the caliber. So, a .530 ball for a .54 caliber.

....and just in case you want to make noise for reinacting purposes, you can pour 40gr-60gr down the barrel and that should do it.

Are you part of a reinacting group yet?

I have a parts set that I put together and worked up a load for. It does quite well with 90gr 2F and a .530 ball wrapped in a .018 pillow ticking.

The First Regiment is a great place to start. Re-enacting and shooting are different realms when coming to blackpowder. I had an 1803 H.F. and 70 grains of FFFg worked well.

But like Trench said, start about 60 and work up. That rifle was a powerful addition and pretty accurate.Make sure you seat the rifle in your shoulder well. The thinner stock will leave a 'lasting' impression on you if you do not. :doh:
Have fun and welcome to the Forum. Good people here!
BTW, the First Regiment will be doing the 'Siege of Ft. Wayne in a few months.

Cheers, DonK

Welcome to the forum. What part of Ohio are you from? There are several groups of reenactors in Ohio plus many muzzle loading clubs. All are eager to help new comers.

Back to the "Crack" sound: I heard this the first few years I started shooting with others. It refers to the supersonic Crack of a ball exceeding the sound barrier, like most modern rifles. It was supposed to be an indicator of an accurate load, but it didn't take long for me to find out that's not true. The only way to get your accurate load is as others have stated: slow and steady experimentation with different loads, ball diameters, & patches. Makes a whole different set of fun times.

Latest posts

Back