• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1803?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-g willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have the Harper Ferry 1803 rifle?
What make ?
And how do you like it compared to your other rifles?

I have a Zoli made .54 cal.
The lock was garbage so replaced it with a Davis lock.
It's not a drop in replacement. I have pics of it on the rifle if interested. I think I already posted them here some time back.

Embarassed to say I have not shot it yet so can't report on accuracy.

m-g willy said:
What make ?
I have shot originals, never a repro. They are muzzle heavy and not very handy.

This past weekend, I picked up a Navy Arms .58 1803. I won't be able to shoot it for some time yet, but it certainly does not seem to have any trouble sparking (I went through old threads here-this rifle seems to excite some controversy here :haha: ) For some reason, I always was attracted to these,and there it was in front of me at a very reasonable price. Interestingly, at the same show were two original 1803s,both converted to percussion.They were not going for too high a price,either.

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking a 1803 would be a good gun for the early Rocky Mountian flintlock time period 1820-1840 instead of the Hawken and plains type rifles with the deep cresent butt plates.

m-g willy said:
Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking a 1803 would be a good gun for the early Rocky Mountian flintlock time period 1820-1840 instead of the Hawken and plains type rifles with the deep cresent butt plates.
FWIW - the M1803 did not become available to the general public until the 1820's when the gov't saw fit to offer them a surplus arms.
Of course that only counts if you're seriously interested in the historical aspects. Also learning to shoot off one's upper arm as required by the crescent plates is easy to learn. Just lift your shooting arm elbow until it's about the same height as your shoulder and you will automatically get a spot for holding the buttplate. I've shot 54's and 62's regularly with crescent plates and no problems at all handling the recoil. Actually the raised elbow method was the method taught by the military, NRA, et al until at least the 1950's.

m-g willy said:
What make ?

I built a kit that was a mix of TRS and Track parts, with Colerain barrel. Its ok, did the job I wanted it for but I have to agree with it is muzzle heavy, theres a lot better rifles out there. It hangs on my wall after shooting two deer with it and I have no plans on ever using it again. But who knows, I may again someday.

Compared to everything I have, I'd probably even use the 42" 1792 before the 1803 again because the 1792 is so accurate and I can't deal with long rifles to well but I did shoot two deer with the 1792 too. At the range the 1803 isn't as accurate but accurate enough at 50 yards.

I have an 1803 that my wife bought for me for our 10-year anniversary. It was my first ML, first flinter.
I don't know who made it, it only has military/arsenal repro markings on it. It doesn't ignite reliably, but that could very well be my fault and not the guns. It will lay a deer down in it's tracks and it is much more accurate than I thought it would be. It's what started me into muzzleloaders.

I ve just purchased a US 1814 Common rifle made from Rifle Shoppe parts.It is still in the white, I m going to brown the barrel and have the furniture and lock bone case colored.This gun was the replacement for the 1803.

001-2.gif

002-1.gif

barbarossa said:
I ve just purchased a US 1814 Common rifle made from Rifle Shoppe parts.It is still in the white, I m going to brown the barrel and have the furniture and lock bone case colored.This gun was the replacement for the 1803.

001-2.gif

002-1.gif

Make sure who ever does the color hardening knows the alloy IIRC TRS used 4140. 4140 will through harden and be brittle unless the temp is kept low enough. Properly done even 4140 will have a hard skin and a soft core.

Dan

barbarossa said:

001-2.gif

002-1.gif

Did you buy that from Doc White?

Duane

Latest posts

Back