• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1800-1840 wedge tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streamsidejeff

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a wedge tent that opens up like a lean-to. I would like to know if anyone uses one and what they like or dislike about it? I would like to know what's the best size for 2 to 3 people and are they easy to set up? I like the idea of having it open with the fire in front and feel I would use it this way 90% of the time only folding it down to sleep or bad weather. I will be using it at Royal Ranger FCF outings with wy son and at a few local rondy's. Any other comments or advice would be great.

Sounds like your talking about a convertible wedge. My wife purchased one like this from Jas Townsond & Son Inc. for her shop. Their website is www.jastown.com
Her's is 7' wide 7' tall and 8 1/2' long. Its made out of sunforager canvas and cost $205.00. Ten stakes are needed.
It does not have a sod cloth - this is the 10" piece of canvas around the bottom that you put your ground cloth over. This is due to the fact that it would hang in your way when opened. Not a real factor if you watch when you set up and keep on a bit of a knoll or you can trench around it if your expecting heavy rains.
As far as ease of putting up. Its one of the easiest lodges we own and can be done by one person - even though it is easier with two.
One thing that she has done is to make up side curtains for both sides as well as the front. You can do this easily with panter's cloth that you waterproof. Of course, this adds additional cost but is worth it (my opinion).
Set up this way, you can sleep 3 comfortably.
One down side to this set up is that water will pool in the center of the raised portion - even if you have the front poles shorter than your main mast poles. Not a real problem if you angle your front poles or keep the one side slanted more than the other during a heavy rain. Hope this helps.

I believe that Panther advertises this as a veature of their line of wedge tents.

Almost any wedge can be pitched this way with some degree of success.

I would recomend, that whatever brand you choose, that two people need the medium size wedge: 8w X 7h X 11L.

If you are going to use it as a lean-too 90% of the time why not experiment with a 12 x 15 painters' tarp in 10 oz canvas. Paint it with exterior latex barn red, tie musket balls (or marbles) in the corners for your loops and play with that as a starter.

If you set it up as a "diamond shelter" you may decide you do not need a wedge. An extra tarp thrown over the front will give you some privacy.

You are talking $50 as opposed to $250-$300 for the wedge. That other $200 could buy a good Whitney blanket, several dutch ovens, a used pistol or rifle, shirts, knee britches....

It might be a good move until you know everyone involved is going to stick with the activity.

:front:

And that 12 x 15 foot tarp can be set up as a wedge tent, also. If you make up your uprights 6 foot high, and run the canvas over it, you will end up with a wedge tent about 7 foot wide at the bottom. If you set it up full length, you end up with a wedge tent 7 foot wide by 6 foot high by 12 FEET LONG - approximately. That's a lot of room! And the ends can be closed up with two other pieces of canvas, or even blankets. If you make your ridge pole only 8 foot long, you will have about 4 feet of extra tarp on each end to drape down to close each end off, and still have a 7 foot wide by 8 foot long by 6 foot high wedge. Still lots of room.

The Rev War British military tent was 6 foot wide by 7 foot long by 6 foot 2 inches tall with a small bell extention in the back for gear. This was a 5 MAN TENT - one on guard duty while 4 slept, and they would sleep perpendicular to the door. Low man on the pecking order slept across the front by the door, progressing on back with high man getting the back end.

So that 12x15 painters tarp would work very well to make a wedge tent. And it is soo much more versatile in how you want to set it up - like a wedge, a leanto, an awning, a diamond, over a dome of willow poles as a wickyup, or even roll up in it with your blankets beside the fire. And the price compared to a new finished wedge tent is something worth considering.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling

If'n I was sleeping in the tent them there Brit's, I'd welcome guard duty. Sounds perty packed.

Yeah, that many people in one small tent makes for crowded conditions. Everybody would have to roll over at the same time!

But things can be worse! In several articles about military tents, they mention some "complaints" written in journals of the time. A bad one involved that "nature's call" in the middle of the night. Sometimes, a person back in the tent would stop behind the person sleeping in front of the door, and relieve themselves out the door - right over that sleeping person! Kind of a nasty "rain" to wake up to in your tent.

Rah rah. Such was life, back in them old days in the military.

Mike Ameling

Howdy,

Tentsmith has a museum wedge tent with a bell that is a good size for a family. Be sure to get the fly for the tent. They can be ordered with or without the sod cloth. I would not own a tent without the sod cloth due to weather concerns. Tentsmith also sells a ground cloth that will just fit the tent. The tent can be ordered in white or the more period correct natural golden color.
Hope this helps.
:m2c:

used Townsend's convertible wedge for two years when I was an interpreter at a local museum. The historian wanted another tent , but we (the "grunts") suggested that we stick to a leanto to facilitate visitor intertaction, so I suggested the conv. wedge. However, since I've only one hand, wrestling with that damned tent about taxed my patience. I hit on the idea of setting up an exterior frame upon which the tent could be erected. it worked great! at night it was a wedge, and during the day we lifted up the side for the visitors.

Back