• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

17th century French Flintlock Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

For anyone that might be interested in 17th century French Flintlock guns (fusils), here is a little web site with pictures and information that might interest a few of you on this forum.
[url] http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/fusils/mainfusil.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. Had to add it to my "favorites" file. The fowler is similar to one illustrated under the "French" listing in "Guns Of The World" by Bonanza Books, p. 158. Unfortunately the photo lacks some detail but the fowler is attributed to Noel Collette and has a .65 caliber, 40 & 1/2 inch part octagon/part round barrel. The fore end has been cut back and a stud added below the muzzle, I assume for a bayonet since the ramrod has been shortened slightly like the M.1716 & grenadier M.1729-34 fusils of the Compagnies franches de la Marine. My supposition is that it was a private fowler converted for militia use. It also appears to have similar stock longitudinal carving to that illustrated on the presination fusil in Russel Bouchard's work "The Fusil de Tulle In New France 1691-1741". Wish I knew more about the Collette gun or had finer grade photos. Oh well! :hmm:

Thanks all for the comments on my site. If anyone has any pictures of any similar type muskets (flintlock), pls send them my way as there is always room for updates etc.

Kevin (le coureur des bois)[url] www.lanouvelle-france.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an over under 20 gauge by Francois Gruche, reckon it's about 1685.

It's French and 17th century, but more Paris than St Etienne, more sporting than military and the locks are fairly bizarre :hmm:

Does that rule it out? :( :winking:

ou2.jpg

Squire Robin said:
I've got an over under 20 gauge by Francois Gruche, reckon it's about 1685.

It's French and 17th century, but more Paris than St Etienne, more sporting than military and the locks are fairly bizarre :hmm:

Does that rule it out? :( :winking:

ou2.jpg

Yes that would be great. Would love to see pictures of it. Please send to [email protected]

Back