• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1757 Spanish Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Look what I found at the Antique Arms Show in Baltimore last month!
Apparently these were made in Spain and imported to the U.S. during the Centennial. The seller said that even Navy Arms imported some. This is the first time I've ever seen or held one. Of course, I had to have it. :haha:
The barrel is about 43 3/4" long and .69 caliber. Octagon for the first 9" and fading to round. The overall gun and bore appear unused except for a couple handling marks. Even came with the correct bayonet - made in India. Apparently, these are really hard to find. It has a really big lock that sparks great.Picture heavy, so hope you enjoy. Rick. :hatsoff:

Great find Ricky! I have always liked the idea and simplicity of those large ringed hammer screws. Sure makes it easier to change flints without having to go scrounging for a screw driver! Even on a very few European and fewer still American flintlocks, those having a hole through the head of the screw made for simple flint removal\replacement. All without gashing your thumb from those darn ole buggered screw heads!

Hi Captain. You are right about the hole in the hammer screws making it easier to change a flint. And the large rings on the Spanish guns make it even easier. It's easy to get the flint snugged up and aligned with the frizzen face before final tightening . Maybe that's why the Spanish kept this feature after changing from the miquelet to the French style flintlock.
My only disappointment is the position of the vent hole being too close to the pan. But it should work OK. I would say the overall build quality and inleting is similar to a Pedersoli. Speaking of which, there was a Pedersoli 1766 Charleville musket that looked like it had been shot only a couple of times, that I could have bought for half the price of a new one. I'm now kicking myself for not getting that one too. And I don't have the guy's business card or remember who was selling it. DARN. :(

By the way, if you have never attended this once a year Show, I highly recommend it. There's about a thousand tables. And it will take you all weekend to cover it. More flintlocks in one location than I've ever seen anywhere. Last time I attended was 2012. But I'm planning on attending every year now. Besides the obvious antiques, there is a great selection of second-hand custom made replicas. Some by well known makers. Even Dulap Woodcrafts had a neat display showing their stock blanks and pre-carves.
The only scary thing about the Show: It was hard to notice any guy under 60 years old. I don't know what that says for the collecting community, but it can't be good. :shake: Rick. :hatsoff:

It is a replica of the Spanish musket Model 1757, manufactured in Eibar in 1983. The gauge is the original, (0.716), equivalent to 12 bore. Greater than the French muskets of the time (0.69), and lower that the British Brown Bess (0.75). The weapon was manufactured by MENDI and is of good quality. It is a highly sought in Spain for reenactment "Independence War" (1808-1812) against Napoleón Bonaparte.

Saludos cordiales.

Thanks so much for the specifics on this gun. Much appreciated. I measured the bore on mine, and you're right, it's about .71. I was taking the seller's word that it was a .69. I'll have to order some .690 round balls for her. Thanks again. Rick. :hatsoff:

Nice; I'm presuming it is more accurate a repro than the Pedersoli which isn't worth the money vs. the French gun itself that they base them on.

That lock looks ALOT like the Swedish 1701-1716 lock, except for the extra stuff on the Frizzen screw and that groove on the plate:

alquyhU.jpg

musket lock 1704.

Where can you find those?

I will tell you what it says about our sport, when us 60 plus guys go to the happy hunting ground so will our sport. Be like the old car folks, Our kids will sell everything 5cents on the dollar. But I will enjoy it to the end. Nice find.

FWIW the Dutch did the same treatment on their buttplate screws ... at least those on the butt, less they even used BIGGER headed screws!

I can't imagine how those felt on the shoulder!

Rick, your radar is as keen as ever. What a great find-and no need to line the barrel. We can count on you to bring us something new ever once in a while. Respectfully, Jerry

Hi Alden.
Interesting you asked that question. Normally I wouldn't be able to answer that. But, it so happens someone at the Show had an original for sale (at 6-7 times the cost). So I went back to the booth where they were holding mine (already bought it) and borrowed it to compare. From what I could tell, it was a dead-ringer for the original. So that just made me happier. Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Juice.
And I was not exaggerating. ALL the guys at the Show were 60-80. I hate to think that maybe 15-20 years from now, many of these guns will go for really cheap simply because there are not the collectors/shooters for them anymore. Seems that all the younger guys are into black rifles and such :idunno:
Rick

Hi Flint.
Yes, the Spanish even used the exposed head screws on the sporting guns for the butt plate. Never really understood why. I don't notice any difference on the shoulder while firing, even with just a T-Shirt. But they are also round head screws. If they were pan head screws - ouch!! :haha: Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Jerry.
YES! I actually bought a gun that DIDN'T have a miquelet lock on it. LOL :rotf: And it's sure nice for a change to purchase a gun you don't have to do anything to it except shoot it. Rick. :hatsoff:

Back