• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 year old daughter wants to shoot bp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My 12 yr old daughter really enjoys going to rendezvous and shooting my BP rifle. She is not afraid to squeeze off 65 grains of 2F in my .50 cal GPR. the only problem is the weight of the gun,she can't hold the rifle steady for off hand shooting and has to use a rest or shooting sticks.I'm looking for a rifle with a shorter barrel and less weight in .50 cal. Any recommendations? Can't tell you how proud i am that both of my daughters love to shoot BP. :)

Congraluations it's always a pleasure to have the kids enjoy the game. If you would consider a 45cal I could help you out with one my boy outgrew...Brad

my ex was a small woman and I bought her a .50 traditions flinter halfstock,I think it was called a deerhunter? at the log cabin shop for $179 Not real historically accurate but it was a shooter! Light weight too I think around 6 lbs.

My wife is over on the smaller side and needs a youth rifle too, fellas.

Today she gave me a spanking on the range and now she wants a rifle too. If it fits Nick's youngun, it will probably fit my wife too!

My 10 year old daughter shoots a .32 cal CVA percussion Squirrel rifle and a Thompson Center .36 Seneca.
The CVA is her favorite. She likes it so much I got a second CVA Squirrel rifle for her and am converting that one to flint for her.

My 10 yo loves it as well...found her a .45 cal Numrich underhammer, due to some eyesight problems no hammer in the way will help her really spank her daddy on the range.

I shortened a CVA Kentucky in .45 for my 7YO daughter. took 10 inches off the barrel and 2 1/2 off the stock. She loves it.

I had a TC cherokee for my boys and it was a good youth gun. I would still have it but a guy at our local club had a little girl who wanted to shoot so I sold it to him . She was soon beating the men. You should be able to find a Cherokee or seneca in 45 caliber. I recommend them for youth and smaller women. TC makes a very good gun for factory builds and the resale value is always there.

Dixie used to make one that I believe was available in flint called the Cub. Never saw one but I heard they were fairly good.

sundog said:
My 10 year old daughter shoots a .32 cal CVA percussion Squirrel rifle and a Thompson Center .36 Seneca.
The CVA is her favorite. She likes it so much I got a second CVA Squirrel rifle for her and am converting that one to flint for her.

My wife uses this CVA .32 cal and loves it and the Seneca is another excellent choice. :thumbsup:

Jim chambers has a kit for smaller people(its new). Check it out. I'm smaller my self and want this gun.

Mike Lea has a flint gun kit based on an original "boys" rifle. The gun is available in .45 rifle or .50 smoothbore. My wife has one. The gun weighs about 5 pounds. She can hold it and shoot it without any trouble. Mike built his original copy for his daughter Rachel, she started shooting it and other fathers and husbands saw the gun and wanted copies. Mike has a fully carved stock and parts available and a special barrel that fits in the stock.

Mike Lea can be reached at [email protected]

Many Klatch

I listed the rifle in the classifieds,this is an inexpensive but solid little rifle that can compete on the line. I can still see the look on everybodys face when my boy cleaned up on us at 100 yds with it.I would say it's a good 5 maybe 6 lbs lighter than the plains rifle which I have one of...Brad

thanks to everybody for all the good advise on a rifle for my daughter. i did come across one at the last rendevous i was at but, i didnt have the money on me and it got sold the next day before i got there.Don.t remember the name of the rifle but it was a light short barrel .50 cal. for $i00.00 .Oh well....thats my luck :( . thanks again.

Remember that the Leman fullstocks often had swamped barrels. If you built one with a 36" swamped "B" weight in .50 caliber that would be all the gun she'll need when she's about 3-4 years older. The recoil should be very tolerable in a small bore like that with sensible loads and a .50 will anchor most Eastern deer with a solid hit as we all know. Just my 2 cents worth. :hmm:

-Ray

As much as I love my children, I wouldn't spend money on a Chambers or any other custom built. Kids grow too fast. By the time you get it done, there 6" taller.

Thats a hard reality, and worse yet many just simply loose interest overnight...Money, money, money by the pound! Or my all time favorite, "that's not what I thought it would be- I really don't like it". Brad

Nick,
Look for a used CVA Bobcat at the next show you go to. I usually pick them up for $50-$75 in very good condition. They come with either wood or synthetic stocks and weigh in at around 6 pounds. We use them for our youth program because they can't be hurt. Just clean them and put them away.
Mark

My Wife shoots a Dixie Cub Percussion in .50 cal. It has the Roman Nose stock and beats the heck out of my Cheekbone.When She shoots it,it still beats the heck out of me...score wise!!

Latest posts

Back