• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 ga sxs loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been testing a lot of loads through my GM .54 smooth, and having a lot of luck, especially since I got a wad punch from Ohio Ramrod :hatsoff: (Thank You) recently to make my own. I never measured the store bought ones I had gotten from TOTW prior to this punch, but love being able to make my own now. So now that I have my loads figured out for the .54, it is time to start playing with the 12ga. I know there has been a lot of talk lately as to loads and such, but is there anything specific I should do to make sure the recoil from the first barrel being fired doesn't dislodge the load in the second barrel and create an unsafe condition due to the airspace between the powder and the shot/ball? I remember reading some time ago that it used to be common practice to occassionally use the ramrod to make sure the loads remain seated, but keep thinking I am forgetting something, so any advice from any of you is very appreciated. Thank you all.

I use the second (unfired) barrel as a ramrod "holder" after I seat the base wad and while pouring in the shot. You gotta stick it somewhere to free up your hand, so might as well be down the second bore. A quick shove make sure the load is still seated.

I gotta say that with well-fitting base wads, I've never found a charge to have moved. But I still check.

The most important thing to remember about SxS 's is to remove the prime/uncap. If reloading one barrel while the other is still loaded!I use a fiber or leather wad over powder and then a newsprint shot cartridge over the wad and have never had a problem with the charge loosening, but I still check if reloading the first barrel before discharging the second. :hmm: Glad to hear the punch is working out for you!

Ohio Ramrod,
Saying the punch is "working out" is a huge understatement both in terms of the improved performance I am getting out of my .54 smoothie, and the quality of the product you made. Thank you.

Brown Bear,
That's a great idea that I should have been smart enough to think of, but wasn't. Thank you.

Gents, if I'm understanding you both correctly, then I'm basically worrying over nothing. I just didnt want to fire one barrel, and then take a quick second shot and ruin my gun or injure myself, or both as would be more my luck. I guess I better start thinking and then developing loads cause Spring Turkey season will be here and i wont get to play if i dont develop loads. Thanks, and if anyone else has any hints, please dont be shy as this is my first double barrel that has any potential to be useful (the only other one I've ever had was a .410 suppository derringer-type pistol which I never should have bought when I was younger and dumber).

Concerning yourself over the unfired barrel is a worthy concern. But, if you have 'properly' fitting components, you will not have any problems. Please remember, just because it is said to be a 12ga. and it even measures to be a 12ga. in may work better with different components. I have a gun here that measures as a 20ga. But, if you shoot one barrel, it will loosen the 2nd barrel load. So I am using 19ga. components. I have had the same problem with other gauges as well, so it is not an uncommon problem, at least for me. But, it is easily fixed.

BrownBear said:
I use the second (unfired) barrel as a ramrod "holder" after I seat the base wad and while pouring in the shot. You gotta stick it somewhere to free up your hand, so might as well be down the second bore. A quick shove make sure the load is still seated.

The debate about whether you should leave the ramrod in the unfired barrel while loading the other barrel has been going on for more than 150 years. Personally, I do put the ramrod in the unfired barrel to make sure that you do not double load the unfired barrel. It also allows you to make sure that the load has not moved. However, I have never experienced the load moving up in the barrel.

The biggest downside to putting the ramrod in the unfired barrel is the possibility that you spill some shot down the unfired barrel. If that happens, it is difficult to withdraw the ramrod, as the ramrod tip gets wedged between the shot and the bore. If the happens, the best thing to do is turn the gun upside down and push the ramrod towards the charge in an effort to dislodge the shot. However, in my experience, I have usually gotten the ramrod pretty well stuck before I figure out what has happened. At that point your only option is to use a ramrod puller and hope that the ramrod tip does not come loose.

Hmmmph. Now you have me worried! I've never had it happen, but can see where it would be a problem when it did. I've been using an English shot flask and it's no problem, but with an Irish or any other dipper or measure I can see it. Thanks for the heads up! :hatsoff:

Now this possibility never even crossed my mind. I thought the main/only concern was the chance of the load in the unfired barrel coming loose and acting as a barrel obstruction. Good to know about any possible issues. Thanks for the heads up, and how to deal with it if it happens.

WADR, If my ramrod is down the unfired barrel, I find it next to impossible to put much shot down that barrel, so that it will lock up. I suppose it MIGHT BE possible, if you are loading #9 shot in the unloaded barrel, and spill some of the shot pellets over into the loaded barrel with the ramrod in it. But, I don't hunt with such small shot. I use #8 shot for shooting dove, and would choose either #8 or #7 1/2 shot to shoot small birds like Quail, etc.

I suppose the best advice given here should a shooter do that, is ' What rolls in will also roll out. Turn the gun muzzle down, let those pellets fall out, and then pull the RR out." :hmm: :v

Oh heck, that's waaaaaay too simple! :rotf:

Good thought, and I'm going to use it.

BTW- When I was shooting a couple of days back I intentionally used only the left barrel for 20 shots while leaving a charge in the right. It never budged. I was using Circle Fly prelubed fiber base wads and their overshot cards, which seem thicker than those for the 20 gauge. Tight fit for both wads, which may have helped.

Years of shooting heavy recoiling double rifles forced the habit of using the rear (left) trigger first. And since both barrels are CYL bored on my NA Pietta SxS order of fire is not driven by choke choice. But I simply can't imagine the field circumstances in which I would shoot only the left barrel 20 times. Pretty definitive test in my book, but I'd be checking carefully any time I changed components.

Not that it matters much when both barrels are bored the same, but you can take the triggers out and switch them if you want the rear trigger to shoot the right barrel. (Or if you were left handed and wanted the front trigger to shoot the left barrel.)

Good thought, and thanks. I've been looking at a 20 gauge with IC and MOD chokes, but have held off because the rear trigger is for the MOD choke. Easy fix. :hatsoff:

Back