• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 ga. double conversion to flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Deer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Mazo kid asked: Did you just plug the nipple holes and put vents in? I would love to see close-up pictures of the conversion, also more details please.

Not much of a story to tell. I did not do the work myself, I am not that talented or patient.

There is a guy not too far from me that made new breech plugs and installed them. He also did the jug chokes in the barrels.

A friend installed the locks. Only took a little inletting and filling to get them to fit. The locks for the moment are still in the white, mainly because I have not gotten around to finishing them.

Here is a pic of my barrels before conversion, alongside my friends barrels that had already been converted.
dcp_0939-5.jpg
[/img]

The new breechs added about 3/4 inch to the overall length of the barrels, so the wedge pin lug had to be moved too.

I have a set of blueprints that I bought that showed the machinist what needed to be done.

I paid $275 for the gun, $100 for the rebreeching, $115 for each lock (TOW), $40 to have the barrels jug choked. Total, less than $700 for a double flint lock.

Thank you for taking the time to show how the conversion was done. Nicely done job!

Please post more pictures ( who am I to ask this, "posting pictures", I've been trying for some time (still can't).
I would really like to see the conversion.
I had a nice double in flint 12 gauge, and foolishly traded it off :cursing:
But now would like to try it myself.
Best Regards
Old Ford

Here is a pic of mine before conversion next to my friends after conversion.
dcp_0935-1.jpg
[/img]

Don't have any other pics except the one in the other thread with the turkey.

Old Ford said:
Please post more pictures ( who am I to ask this, "posting pictures", I've been trying for some time (still can't).
I would really like to see the conversion.
I had a nice double in flint 12 gauge, and foolishly traded it off :cursing:
But now would like to try it myself.
Best Regards
Old Ford

One of my friends has a pedersoli double that he wanted to convert when I got mine done. He found out that it could not be done (not easily anyway). My Navy Arms Pietta was breeched after the barrels were joined. The pedersoli is breeched before the barrels are joined. Therefore the breech plugs could not be taken out of his to change, without separating the barrels. He didn't think it was worth the work or risk or the barrels not being regulated after.

Why couldn't a modern set of doubles be breached with a pair of breach plugs, with touch holes?
With the result being a flint double with modern steel barrels.
Wouldn't that be great!
Old Ford

OF,
I have seen it done. The before barrels were 10 guage cartridge that had got separated from the receiver/shoulder stock with the other set of barrels. The gent who did the work put full size breechplugs in, which made it really wide at the breech with the locks. He elected to do this because he had to make a new stock anyway. It was way cool. I drooled all over it.
volatpluvia

Now you got me thinkin! :hmm: This might be the way to go. I have a Navy Arms 12 Ga double that would make one super flinter! :v
Dusty :wink:

Thank you for your pictures. I like my Pietta (Navy Arms) double barrel shotgun but would like a flint lock more. I don't like messing with caps, they fall off the nipple, get dropped when caping or un caping the gun.

Maybe someday I'll be able do a conversion like yours.
Shoot safely.

Back