• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10ga double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine acquired a double barrel 10ga from an estate and is looking for information of it's origin. Not many marking on it except some small markings under the breech area. I assume they are proof markings.

More photos to follow

Last edited:
Belgian, between 1854 and 1892 - tending, by the design of the locks, toward the earliest part of the century. The ELG over crown in an oval cartouche = ÉPREUVE LIÉGE - Liége Proof House, made and sold by the tens of thousands in hardware stores from PA to OR and everywhere in between. Photos right way up, so'we don't haver to crank our necks round to read'em would be much appreciated, in focus would be even gooder so that we could take a look at all the other stamps under the barrels. The crown over something or other is an inspection mark - usually a single letter.

Last edited:
1612823391234.png
1612823425591.png

1612823462315.png

1612823499980.png

It's a hardware store item of no great value, except by its connection with history. It has had a hard life, and looks it, and deserves to be put in an honoured place in a home that will love it.

Whenever I see a great old gun like this. I think of General 'Stonewall' Jackson's last words. Look 'em up and you'll see what I mean.

Back