• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10-inch Rodman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conchshot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought there might be some interest in seeing the cannon we get to "play" with down here. The image is of a 10-inch Rodman. The tube is an original that was excavated from our fort. The upper carriage and chassis are replicas. The piece is mounted "en barbette" rather than for casemate. Our artillery reenactment group trains on this piece--we are able to put it into battery and out of battery. However, the state won't let us fire a charge out of it, fearing damage to the piece. The last time the piece was fired was for a ceremony in 1992. She makes a tremendous noise with just 1lb of powder. Max load is 10lbs for a 100-pound round.

Harry
Fort[url] Taylor.org[/url]

rodmanb.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, up here the government only lets us take pictures. And even then, if there's any skins on the walls around it, you can't take pictures either. The flash fades the furs! A cannon like that goes for what 30-40,000 dollars, I'd be picky over who gets to move it too. You guys are very lucky. Hats off to you. :hatsoff:

Paulson Bros can make a replica casemate carriage for around $42K. We paid about $25K for this replica.

I don't know if all Rodman are configured this way, but this one has two vent holes. That leads us to believe that it may have had a different mechanism to set off of the charge rather than a standard friction primer.

Our reenactment group follows the 1860s drill for seacoast artillery. We also have all the implements for this piece, including original cannonball.
A well-trained crew could have this piece ready to fire a second round in 15 minutes. Our reenactment crew isn't quite that good as yet. :winking:
Harry

Your crew may not be as quick as the soldiers who originally fought with this piece day in & day out but that's still very impressive. Good show man!

Two vent holes eh? Never heard of that being done unless the cannon was spiked, re-drilled and further use blew out the obstruction. My only other guess would be some sort of manner or device in witch multiple guns were fired in unison? Got me stumped?

rodmanb.jpg

Wow beauty! But 15 minutes per round? Was that normal for these guns?
That sure seems slow ... but then I am ignorant of cannon procedures. :hmm:

Davy

Down at the Smithsonian on the Mall in DC they have the Arts and Industry building. Don't know if the exhibit is still there, but they used to have one or two Rodman guns in the back. Maybe a 15"? Also, one of the massive iron balls suspended in a steel basket. It's been years since I last visited but I seem to remember something about the weight being many thousands of pounds for one of these soda bottles. If you get a chance to visit DC and do the museums, don't miss this one. It houses a lot of stuff from the 1876 Centennial Exhibit. In addition to the cannons, they have a beautiful wall-mounted display of then-current NIB Winchesters, including factory cutaways. Bring a towel to mop up the drool. :grin:

Do you know if both of the vents go through to the bore? It was not uncommon for large 1860 era artillery to come from the factory with one vent drilled through and a second mostly drilled so that field personnel could finish the job when necessary instead of returning the gun to an arsenal.

Yes, both vents are "working" vents. Unfortunately, the other Rodmans we have on display have the vent area covered, so it's difficult to determine if all our Rodmans that were excavated from the fort came from the foundry like this. We're thinking that the Rodman had a different firing set up. Something, for a lack of a better description, like a mousetrap configuration. Still researching to learn more. I don't believe the piece was spiked.
Our Columbiads and Parrott Rifles have single vents, so we know those used a friction primer similiar to a field piece.

Harry

You guys might get a kick out of this. At the end of your Civil War... the British Govt was bricking it that you'd invade Tasmania as a staging point for the attack on the mainland.
Here in Victoria, at the 'Heads of the bay are two forts. Fort Queenscliff was built in 1860 and kept being developed.
They had a demo firing of a restored gun several years ago. Just a blank charge...blew out all the windows in the place because they had removed a ring mound behind the main guns that blocked the blast from the interior. I don't recall Sumter had anything like that inside. The noise and concussion inside must have been horrendous.
Al in Australia

At the end of your Civil War... the British Govt was bricking it that you'd invade Tasmania as a staging point for the attack on the mainland.

After taking a million casualties over four years, sailing off to the other side of the world to invade Oz seems like the last thing we would have done. I wonder what that theory was a cover for.

Hi Conchshot:

I was browsing thru the Cannon forum today and was astounded to find your posts about the 10 in. Rodmans at Ft. Zachary Taylor.

I was stationed at Fleet Sonar School as an instructor from '69 to '72 and was invited by Mr. Howard England, then an engineer with the Naval Station Public Works, to help him do some exploratory excavations in the fort, so see if there was any ordnance left from the late 19th century modernization. We, a crew of volunteers including some of my sailor students, worked every Saturday from early morning until it got too hot.

The fort was at that time being used as the salvage yard, and had a large area of dredged spoil deposited on the seaward face of the side facing the recreational beach area (away from the harbor). We started by taking soundings with a rod to find any penetrations from the second tier floor down into the first tier gunrooms. We lucked out after a few tries and started removing the sand which covered the flooring. We then exposed the hole in the floor and started removing sand which filled up the gunroom below on the first tier. Sand removal was by discarded 5 gallon cans, pushed out the the edge of the structure on discarded rollers we found in the salvage yard (the frames with rollers that supermarkets use to move produce). Once we were well into the room we had to haul the cans of sand back up through the hole.

Eventually we reached the first tier floor and started clearing away the sand filling the room. (When the fort was modernized, the top two tiers were demolished and the rubble, along with sand from the cover face that protected the landward approach to the fort, was dumped into the empty first tier gunrooms.) We then excavated our way toward the outer face until we reached the original wrought iron Totten shutters which closed the port when the gun was not in firing position (battery). Soon details of the masonry work were revealed, along with the number '13' painted on the archway over the gunport. We pried open the Totten shutter and now had easy access to the outside to dump sand without hauling it back up to the second tier level.

Having cleared away most of the sand from the front of the room, we changed direction and started working toward the rear (which we knew was closed with a concrete wall) and toward an adjacent room. At this point we began to encounter 8" spherical shells for Columbiads, along with 3" or so diameter Parrott bolts for army field pieces which may have been garrison guns; we never found tubes for these.

There was an immense quantity of projectiles of these two kinds and we were soon stumbling over them while digging. I cleared away an area to stack them and uncovered the first tube we found, a Rodman on its carriage. Then another was found alongside it.

Room 14 alongside was partially open to us, so we decided to excavate it to see what we might uncover. We found the remains of a coal-fired seawater condensing system, built in England and installed by the Union garrison. Seawater was pumped into the boiler, the steam was condensed and the condensate stored in a cistern. (At this time the entire garrison was housed within the fort, since Key West was a hotbed of Confederate sympathy; I believe that Forts Taylor and Pickens were the only two Union forts in Confederate territory that were not abandoned by the Union during the CW.)

By this time the weather had cooled, and we had enough digging inside the gunrooms, so we moved our efforts to the second tier which was open to the sky and thickly covered with more sand. Over the weeks we discovered a pair of Pattern 1841 Mordecai System 8" Columbiads, a Pattern 1841 coehorn mortar (don't remember the caliber) and a monster 10" Parrott rifle, all covered by the sand. We never found any 10" Parrott projectiles, but I was transferred to my next post before our excavations were finished.

Of course every national park wanted the tubes; one of the Rodmans ended up at the Officer's Club and I don't know where the rest went. I am particularly proud of having unearthed most of the ordnance. Howard, the boss, was an accomplished draftsman and executed a set of dimensioned blueprint drawings of all the tubes; I had hoped one day to make models from these but never got around to it. I doubt that I even have the prints any longer.

If you have any questions aobut these events please feel free to contact me by PM. I'll be away for the coming week but will be back on Aoril 9th.

Brgds, Bluejacket

Back