• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1-48" or 1-66" twist T/C HAWKEN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Sluka

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to purchase a T/C hawken flintlock.
For a few more dollars I can get the 1-66"twist instead of the standard 1-48"
My question is shooting skill being equal how much more accurate can i expect the 1-66"twist to be over the 1-48"with PRB's Thanks for your help

Mark S said:
I am going to purchase a T/C hawken flintlock.
For a few more dollars I can get the 1-66"twist instead of the standard 1-48"
My question is shooting skill being equal how much more accurate can i expect the 1-66"twist to be over the 1-48"with PRB's Thanks for your help

My experience has been not enough difference to justify buying one as a second barrel, that's for sure.
But if I was choosing to buy just one barrel and was certain I'd never want to use any conicals, etc...I'd get the RB barrel for the extra barrel length and weight alone...plus I like the esthetics of a little longer barrel on a TC Hawken. Also, whichever you choose, I'd recommend you specify NO QLA false muzzle.

Greeting Mark S,

I have been a dedicated round ball shooter for 50 plus years. After many years of personal experience and the observation of many other ML shooters, I will say without qualification, the patched round ball in the 1-66 barrel will more quickly produce the kind of accuracy that legends are made of.

Without a doubt, go for the 1-66 twist and have fun shooting and experimenting (by shooting) until you are satisfied you have found the best ball and patch combination.

Do not surprised at all of the different opinions you will receive in response to your question. It is one that has been debated over and over on this forum. The gentlemen on this forum are quite opinionated and make for interesting and fun discussions.

Watch this thread for further postings, and you will see what I mean.

I would not have it any other way. (Of course, I am always right; the opposing faction only wants to keep a good debate going).

Go for the 1-66.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
Greeting Mark S,

"...I have been a dedicated round ball shooter for 50 plus years..."

"...I will say without qualification, the patched round ball in the 1-66 barrel will more quickly produce the kind of accuracy that legends are made of..."

"...The gentlemen on this forum are quite opinionated..."

John L. Hinnant

:rotf:
But your opinions are OK...
:rotf:

Now who you callin' opinionated there John. We don't got no stinkin' opinions, just that we all know our way is the right way. :grin: As for me, i would say for sure to go with the 1=66" twist and absolutely no QLA feature for shootin' rd. balls. JMO though. :grin:

Greeting, Roundball, Rebel, and Swampman,

All I can say is, you guys are just no fun at all,

I just knew Mr. Swampman was going to give me a bad time, and he did not.

You guys really take the fun out of a good hollarin', shouting, fist shaking, brawling intelligent debate among beautiful Ladies and handsome Gentlemen. What a dissappointing turn of events.

Well.., I just want you to know, you have not made me mad enough to leave the forum. (yet).

John L. Hinnant

Hey John, i was just joshin' Ya i hope ya know. Heck, i even put a Smiley face at the end so's ya'd know. :grin:

Okay, Okay, Okay,

I have quit pouting :cursing: :rotf:

On with the GREAT DEBATE! :yakyak: :snore: :rotf:

Best regards and good shooting ( :blah:) :rotf:

John L. Hinnant

PS. These smilies are fun; have not used them that much.

Swampman said:
1 in 48 makes a good jack handle.

I got a good laugh at that :rotf: That has been my experience as well. Hats off to the successful 1-48" shooters, I have enjoyed great accuracy with the slower twist and threatened to make a lamp out of my old 1-48" barrel more than once.
Idaho PRB

What a brawl, must be :snore: time , I can count on you to put a :grin: on a otherwise :cursing: day Fred

And here, I have a 50 cal. T/C Silver Elite that has a 1:48 with the QLA and I've shot 50's with it. But then, that was before anybody atold me the 1:66 was better. :grin:

But I soon learned that that was just a bunch if lies because I still can't shoot any better than a 50! :rotf: :rotf:

I won a lot of matches with my old TC with 1:48 twist. With that said, in my experience a 1:66 twist is more forgiving with roundballs and much easier to find accurate loads that are good for both target shooting and hunting.

Othern

OTHERN said:
I won a lot of matches with my old TC with 1:48 twist. With that said, in my experience a 1:66 twist is more forgiving with roundballs and much easier to find accurate loads that are good for both target shooting and hunting.

I think you hit it on the head. I found the 1:48" twist T/C barrels to shoot roundballs fairly well with light to medium loads but they do require a lot of attention to getting the proper patch, ball, lube and powder combination. With my GM slow twist barrels, I can just lube up a Walmart ticking patch with moosemilk, use a .005" undersized ball and with a wide range of powder charges, shoot really well.

For Patched Round Ball, 1 in 66 is the way to go.

Of course, you knew I was going to say that. :rotf: :rotf:

---------------------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Greetings NightWind,

Well......Mr. NightWind, the gentlemen I shoot with, consider a 50-5X to be considerably better than a 50-0X.

John L. Hinnant

My TC Hawken came with a 1 in 48 twist, and despite endless experimentation I could not get a decent group with a patched round ball. Finally the barrel became shot out. I ordered the 1 in 66 replacement, and it made a huge difference. Now I am confident of actually hitting what I am aiming at, rather than merely frightening my target with a near miss.

Why don't you guy like the false muzzle thing. Does this affect the accuracy of the gun? I kind of like it on my RMC 1/28" twist. It makes it easier to load a sabot or conical.

Gentlemen: I too have had trouble working out loads with my .50 caliber 1:48 twist rifle. I have found some help by using a filler between the powder and the patched round ball. The filler seals the barrel better, and consistently, and I get a smaller standard deviation in velocity using the filler, than using just a patched round ball.

Latest posts

Back