• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very impressive. What do you figure the maximum height of the bullet over the line of aim might be on that 1200 yard journey?

From my 100 Yard Zero i had to come up 180 MOA (at 1,200 Yards 1 MOA Equals 1 Foot :)) I had to use 6 MOA Windage for Bullet Spin Drift. Time of Flight is about 4, 4.5 Seconds and another Few seconds for the Sound of the Gong to come back.

After the Shot, i Follow through for a Second or 2 (Staying down in my Rifle) I then Pull my right earplug, Turn my Head & Listen for the Sound of the Gong to Come back.

Last edited:
Is your barrel a hooked breach? If so, did you glass the barrel stock?

I had a Missouri River Hawken in a 50
Caliber fast twist (1/24). With a tang mounted sight (from shaver) I had a lot of lateral movement in the barrel so I glasses it. My sight was only good to 800 yards. Used 90 grains of 2F Swiss and a 550 grain PP bullet.

Is your barrel a hooked breach? If so, did you glass the barrel stock?

I had a Missouri River Hawken in a 50
Caliber fast twist (1/24). With a tang mounted sight (from shaver) I had a lot of lateral movement in the barrel so I glasses it. My sight was only good to 800 yards. Used 90 grains of 2F Swiss and a 550 grain PP bullet.

My Barrel is a Hooked Breech (For TC Hawken/Renegade Tangs) I have done No actual bedding, Just a Piece of Gorilla Tape at the Breech end, and a piece of thinner Yellow Duct Tape just forward of the Wedge key. Some think I’m joking when i say this, But i assure you I’m not :)

This Stock is shared with all 3 of my Rice Barrels, All 3 are fitted to this Stock like a Glove (Wedge key fit, From the underlug). I have set up MANY Of these Old TC Hawken/Renegade Rifles, This is what i do, There is a “Feel” i am Looking for, It Comes with doing it a LOT.
jFdtflj.jpg

This is the SAME Stock, But with my 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Rice Barrel in it. I have it setup to Simply Switch them out, without having to do anything Special
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...50-yard-1-24-twist-50-cal-rice-barrel.131650/

My Barrel is a Hooked Breech (For TC Hawken/Renegade Tangs) I have done No actual bedding, Just a Piece of Gorilla Tape at the Breech end, and a piece of thinner Yellow Duct Tape just forward of the Wedge key. Some think I’m joking when i say this, But i assure you I’m not :)

This Stock is shared with all 3 of my Rice Barrels, All 3 are fitted to this Stock like a Glove (Wedge key fit, From the underlug). I have set up MANY Of these Old TC Hawken/Renegade Rifles, This is what i do, There is a “Feel” i am Looking for, It Comes with doing it a LOT.
jFdtflj.jpg

This is the SAME Stock, But with my 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Rice Barrel in it. I have it setup to Simply Switch them out, without having to do anything Special
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...50-yard-1-24-twist-50-cal-rice-barrel.131650/
Impressive! I got rid of mine strictly because it pounded me the death with that Pedersoli Buttplate. Maybe a TC with a rice is in the works!!!!

Very Quigley-esque. :thumb: I don't think I could even see a 20"x20" target at 1200 yds, even with my glasses. I'd need a scope. :dunno:

I posted this on one of the other threads on the forum here. I have no doubts in my mind that you could go down to the Long Range Shooters of Utah's range for the 1000 yard Milk Jug Challenge shoot. Or, the 1 Mile Challenge shoot. And, clean up.

After all, the 1 Mile Challenge shoot is ONLY an additional 588 yards further than the 1,202 yards in the above video. NO PROBLEM for the mighty Idaholewis.

You're just a very good shot. Far above average. An incredible talent, hidden in North Idaho.

(Tongue in Cheek, LOL)

I was using 95 Grains by WEIGHT of Swiss 2F Blackpowder, Muzzle Velocity is 1,360 Fps

This is the Sight Setup on the Rifle, Lee Shaver Long Range Soule Tang Peep with Hadley Eyecup, And Lee Shaver adjustable Windage Globe front sight with Level. I was using Lee Shaver inserts in the Globe
V37ycpt.jpg

Y4Ks2wT.jpg
Thank you for the pictures, those sights are really nice. A long way from what I used on the underhammers I built for Deer here in NY. Kind of surprised with the load, not the grain weight but the 2F. In my .45 I used 3F, but that was what I thought was right all those years ago.

Two great shots IVANHOE (Sorry) IDAHO. You say 2f which is No 4 in European money? Friends in RSA have used No4 for a long time but seem to go up to 105/110 to push a PP 580gr. bullet to 990 yds(1000mts) From Pedersoli .450 rifles with some fantastic results and the French have used No2 at LR in RSA Champs. Had reasonable results at Bisley in the 70's,80's and 90's at 1000 with 95grs of our Old TPPH Powder with 457121DM sized to .449 and lubed. A late MLAGB member had his 90th birthday party on the 1200yd Firing point while shooting one of the several 1200yd shoots held in UK by the MLAGB .He always shot Supine as I did at long range. W.E. Metford had his own range at Wiston in Leicectershire to shoot at 2000 yrds.He had to stop shooting occasionally while Barges crossed his land on the canal. Regret there is nothing New. OLD OLD DOG From CTMLA 1998/2001/2008 and others..You may improve with a hollow base cast bullet as it will bump into the grooves better and the paper can be scrolled into the hollow leaving a flat base.

I chose Hankins due to them being Stainless Steel, I lube my Lead Bullets Good before Sizing.
Got to love the adjustable sizing dies for tweaking a bullet size. Curious if you have tried the Swinglock dies and how they might compare to the Hankins? I bought a couple Swinglocks quite a while back (when they still used an Allen wrench to adjust) and found them quite repeatable and accurate when changing over diameter for different guns or bullets. The numbered increments correspond to about .0001”, and quite easy, at least for me, to adjust. Wondering how they compare to the Hankins.
1619208681372.jpeg
Also, what do you use for lube? Have had best luck with Imperial Sizing Die Wax, usually only waxing every third bullet or so. I also size after paper patch and make sure I remove any wax residue from the die before running any paper patched bullets through it.

Have been looking for and tried a number of organizers for my front sight inserts, and noticed in one of your posts what looks like a maybe a fly holding box? Do you remember the source, or is it a custom setup?
1619209090202.jpeg

Now this is very interesting I Like to see such reports , proper shooting. I have shot at 1,000 but with very little in the way of sights or ability. Just the old Martini barrels one.I was never in the hunt with such a Greenswled , Bill Curtis, Peter Jagues, or any of the real exponents of long range to name just a few.
Metfords 2.000 yds rifle is still in the NRA Museum at Bisley if I recall correctly .. They only shot at such ranges because the couldn't Get longer ones ..Nice to get a fresh angle on ML shooting much as I like my round & belted balls . I remember Colin Perrin saying" It was like your own space programme all the science and meticulous preparation before you launched your own moon rocket" .Good on you .
In appreciation . Rudyard

Last edited:
The Long Range Rifles Branch of the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britian (MLAGB) have held their Metford Trophy match since 1992. This comprises the aggregate of 15 shots fired at each distance, 1000, 1100 and 1200 yards. Due to covid/range access we couldn't hold the match last year so I still have the trophy sat with me! :) All being well the match for 2021 will proceed as planned for August. Coming up in June though are the Branch 900 yard (15 shots) and 1000 yard (30 shots) Championships. The MLAGB also hold a series of National Rifle Championship matches at 200, 300, 500, 600, 900 and 1000 yards. There are two classes at 200 - 600 yads, Enfield rifle and target rifle. The Enfield isn't used in competition at longer ranges.

Rudyard mentions Metford's 2000 yard rifle at the NRA Museum Bisley. The second of these rifles that were built is at the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds.

David

Any ideas as to what the transonic distance is for these bullets at these velocities? It dosnt seem to be a problem and I often think the supposed issue from coming through the sound barrier is over hyped!

Got to love the adjustable sizing dies for tweaking a bullet size. Curious if you have tried the Swinglock dies and how they might compare to the Hankins? I bought a couple Swinglocks quite a while back (when they still used an Allen wrench to adjust) and found them quite repeatable and accurate when changing over diameter for different guns or bullets. The numbered increments correspond to about .0001”, and quite easy, at least for me, to adjust. Wondering how they compare to the Hankins. View attachment 74491Also, what do you use for lube? Have had best luck with Imperial Sizing Die Wax, usually only waxing every third bullet or so. I also size after paper patch and make sure I remove any wax residue from the die before running any paper patched bullets through it.

I have not used the Swinglock Sizer so i can not compare them, i have handled a newer version Swinglock for .45 Cal and it seemed like a Very well made die.

I chose Hankins sizers due to them being Stainless Steel, I use to use RCBS Case Lube 2 (Water base) on an RCBS Lube Pad to Roll my Bullets over before Sizing (I have recently switched to Hornady unique Case Lube) Back when i was using the RCBS Case Lube 2 i had to be very Diligent about cleaning my Lee Push through Sizer dies after i had sized Bullets, If i didn’t get the Die Good & Clean, and Well lubed with a Gun oil Etc. The Lee Dies would Rust (Luckily i caught them before damage was done) I am good with caring for my things But now & then I forget, The Hankins Stainless Sizers are Forgiving if a Guy forgets, or doesnt get the Die really Clean & Well oiled after use, in fact i have intentionally left Lube in my Hankins Sizer and Checked it Daily to see how Durable they are? ZERO sign of Rust, They are a Durable, Well built Sizer. I highly recommend them

This is the Lube i am using now, I bought a new RCBS Lube Pad and embedded this Stuff in it, I like it a LOT 👍
KvOAjJ2.jpg

Have been looking for and tried a number of organizers for my front sight inserts, and noticed in one of your posts what looks like a maybe a fly holding box? Do you remember the source, or is it a custom setup?View attachment 74492

This is just a small Fly Box, I chose this Route over the Cheap/Flimsy plastic case with refrigerator magnets in it. This little Fly Box works awesome for me👍 There are LOTS of these out there that pretty much all look alike, Mine came from our Local North 40, and is called DR SLICK
https://north40.com/dr-slick-necklace-fly-box

Any ideas as to what the transonic distance is for these bullets at these velocities? It dosnt seem to be a problem and I often think the supposed issue from coming through the sound barrier is over hyped!

@Britsmoothy, I do not Know where the Transonic distance is at here? I ABSOLUTELY agree with you on it being over hyped 👍 I shoot a Lot of this Long Range stuff for fun and i have never Witnessed any “off the wall” bullet behavior at any Certain Distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back