• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

04/10/10 - Longbeard meets Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had alot of joy with English 7's from my guns on flying pheasants.

At the distance you got this feller I bet the 7 1/2s would of got the bleeders if they did not break bones.

It don't matter none though as you did the prep work and commendable it is too :thumbsup:

Brits.

Britsmoothy said:
I have had alot of joy with English 7's from my guns on flying pheasants.

At the distance you got this feller I bet the 7 1/2s would of got the bleeders if they did not break bones.

It don't matter none though as you did the prep work and commendable it is too :thumbsup:
Brits.
Now there may be a difference between American #7 and English #7...what I assume I got was American #7s...they're a shot size larger / heavier than the English #7 per this chart:
http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, your 7 is our 6, our 6 is the most popular size over here. Our 7 is your 8 and I was saying I have much joy with that a small size. (hope I got that right :hmm: )

I am a firm believer in a good pattern and numbers of pellets over a few larger pellets with the chance of less strikes.

One example was fox I shot with our 7s at 33paces, as it was collapsing I shot the second barrel at it that had 00buck. On skinning the fox had 14 of our 7s pass to the far ribbs but not a single 00buck hit anywhere, bad shooting maybe, not a fair comparison, absolutly, would folk recomend English 7s for shooting fox, no way.

I just like numbers of pellets period :thumbsup:

Brits.

Congrats RB very nice work! :applause:

I hope to duplicate that myself in a couple weeks with my 20ga fowler.
Mine is cylinder bore and I've been struggling with the #7 vs #6 thing for a few weeks now. I was set on #6 (magnum shot) but the more I read and think about it I'm limiting myself to 25 yards max anyway so why NOT try the 7's?
I don't have any nickle plated to try but a ton of "magnum" harder lead.

I can't say I'm entirely satisfied with the results I'm getting with the 6's and I'm thinking that as long as the 7's have enough snot at 25 yards I might go for the higher pattern saturation.

Going to mess with it in 2 days.

In any event, if I can wind up with anything close to your results it will be a good spring indeed! :thumbsup:

Outstanding hunt ! Congratulations on your bird ! I'll be hunting in the opener here tomorrow, but not with a ML........maybe the future holds this challenge for me. Great pics too.

TV... what county are you hunting in? I started to hunt turkeys in the mid 80's in Vernon county just North of La Farge..I think it was the first or second Wisconsin turkey season....Not many birds then but beautiful rolling hills...Dan

p.m. me off this post.

Thanks all...I was lucky that it turned out to be one of those hunts where everything worked "like it was supposed to"...eases the pain a little for not having fired a shot the past 2 spring seasons.
:grin:

Pocket sized cameras are outstanding for stuff like this...ceates some nice memory file documentation to look back through in the future.

I've been twice since opening day but haven't heard or seen another one since...

Ya done good roundball! Great story! :surrender:
Congrats. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

This coming Saturday will be 15 days into the season...more and more hens should be wrapping up breeding and sitting the nest full time.
With the availability of receptive hens fading fast now, more and more Toms should be on the move again lookin'-fer-luv'...going back after them Saturday and Monday in hope's of seeing another one

Good luck...I'd sure like to be in there waiting for it to get light enough to see, but gotta work

Latest posts

Back