• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.003 to .006 difference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Based on a couple of the revolver Q & A's here lately (one of 'em posited by me), I'd really like general input on this:

Some .44's want .451 RB's, while some want .457's. Mine seem to like .454, though I can't tell you why, or if that's really the best load for that particular wheelgun.

My question is: Isn't .003 to .006 of an inch about the width of a hair? A pretty fine to a pretty coarse hair? Just how much difference can it really make whether we load with .451, .454, or .457 round balls in our cap & ball revolvers? (Extrapolate for other calibers, please.)

I have admitted at the onset that mine seem to like .454 over the other two, but I really don't know that there's any ballistic science to it, or if it's just a rabbit's foot. (They all ring, that I do know.)

Anyone care to educate me? (And, I'll bet, a whole lotta other readers out there too?)

As always: thanks for your adivice and experience. This is a great group of shooters, and your input has always been invaluable to me.

Good question. My '58 Rem .44 uses .454 dia. slugs and RB's. My Ruger OA uses .457 slugs and balls. You're right .003 is a fine hair thickness. I've read somewhere here that the LEE .45 REAL slug (.457)will fit either pistol. And shoots good with heavy powder charge.

I`ve always been told the ball should shave off a nice lead ring when seating the ball, the 451 do that in my Colt.
Also, i just ordered that short barreled Rem. :winking:

I get a slight ring from .451 in my Uberti 1858 while the .454's shave a nice ring. The .457's are a bother to load but they shoot more accurately for me. I think a lot of it has to do with how much driving surface is created to engage the rifling. The .457's shave off a nice wide surface to engage the rifling while the .451's barely have any. I usually shoot .454's just because they're easier to load though.

Pitchypine is right. Most makers bore slightly different sized bores and the best ball for any will be the one that shaves enough lead from around the edge of the ball to seal the chamber. Have had percussion revolvers that do best with everything from .451" to .457". All depends....

I was always under the guise that the Ruger OA had a slightly larger chamber and bore, hence the .457 RB.

yes you are right on that one ruger even recamends the .457.

it all depends on the size of the chambers. my cva 60 colt uses .454. my earley navy arms rem .451. the rem i got from cabales .454. my 2sd. dragoon .457

Thank you for the replies, gentlemen. You've both confused the he** outta me and cleared things up. (That make sense to any of you?)

Seems to me the bottom line is what it always is with our old arms: experiment and see what works best for your particular piece. I'll stick with my .454's. They seem to combine the best of both worlds: relative ease of loading with a tight enough fit that they're accurate and don't dislodge during firing.

Love the input, and the personal stories. I'm never too old to learn! (And I sure ain't no kid!) Any further info is always apprecitated.

Back