• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who was L. Johns ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old (antique) barrel that has L. Johns in fancy script on the top flat of the barrel. I haven't been able to find any info on him in the sources I was able to check. The closest I was able to come was an Isaac Johns, armorer. This was in the list of American Gunmakers, but the initial is definitely an L.
(This barrel is from a halfstock gun found in very poor condition in a barn in W. Pa; but that's a whole other story.)

The muzzle end has markings around the bore but they appear to be in the shape of asterisks instead of the usual Christian cross, but they are pretty well worn so hard to tell.

The barrel length is odd at 38 3/8". The barrel tapers (not swamped) from .975 at the breech to .875 at the muzzle.

Bobby Hoyt and I discussed this barrel when I dropped it off at his place to have the bore re-cut. We "speculated" that the barrel "could have been" originally on a flintlock with a full stock. The under rib is in three pieces and there is evidence of a wedge tenon about two inches to the rear of the existing tenon.

That's about it! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx in advance.

Dryball

Long John Silver?

More seriously, I would think taking a better look at the "L" stamp is in order. Look for the serif on the "L". Is it a small bar across the top? Does the serif on the bottom just go one way?

Going out on a limb of speculation here, but could the "L" really be an "I" obscured by time , corrosion and an off struck stamp?

Then too, we have the embellishment that is inherent in the application of a fancy script engraving. What looks like an "L" is an "I" with the lower line carrying over into the "J".

The L. reminds me of the capital L I learned in penmanship class in 2nd (or 3rd) grade. A loop at the top dropping into another loop at the bottom of the letter. The initial L is not that close to the J to interfere.

It seems I'm drawing a blank on this maker but it was worth a try. Maybe he only made one gun :hmm:

Dryball

There is a listing in "American Gunmakers" that says:

"JOHNS, Isaak ”” Armorer. Was paid $640 New Emission Currency (at

rate of four to one, equal to $160, in specie) for cleaning and

repairing 80 muskets, Phila., June 13, 1781."

No "L Johns" or "Johns, L" is shown

Back