• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes Best Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dog gonnet! I just knew someone was going to get his feelers hurt when I first saw this Topic.
Nobody mentioned Ole' Zonie! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just kidding. Ole' Zonie doesn't build guns for anyone but himself. :grin:

Well, I've seen some pictures of your guns and I think you do a fine job. You do a neater job than me for sure. If I warn't so poor and tight that I had to build my own I'd be proud to have you build me one.
:hatsoff:

Not mentioned is Walter Mabry of Mississippi. He is more often known for horns, but his rifles are very good. I had seen his work for some time and liked it. I have now seen more and like it even better.

CS

I won't say who's "best," but I went to Allen Martin for a Bucks County rifle, and I've never regretted it.

Another name I will throw out there for you to drool over is Keith Casteel. He builds very ornate guns that are not everyone's taste (or just as likely, budget). I don't say he's the best, but he's worth a look, even if, like me, you're never going to buy one.

You really need to go to Dixon's in Kempton, PA, on the last weekend in July, find a builder or gun you like, and strike a deal. You will, however, have to be patient; I did have to wait five years. Now I did make the mistake of telling Allen not to hurry - never tell a builder that - but you have to figure that most well-known and respected builders have a waiting list.

Ask known builders on here like Mike Brooks, Roy Stroh, or Fred Lehto, or Matt and Toni Avance, or Matt Denison. The last two are probably shorter waiting lists, because from what I hear they simply build guns faster, but all have a line of customers waiting.

I will have to throw in Matt and Toni Avance as that is who built mine, and I couldn't be happier. I cant say "best" as I dont have anything else except production guns to compare it to, but I'm happy with their work. In fact, will be ordering a .54 rifle and a .62 smoothy from them when funds allow. Having said that, all the builders listed above make guns I'd be proud to own. Just find one you like, tell them the basics of what you want, and turn them loose to do their artwork without too many restrictions. I figure if or when I get the skills to do it myself, I will nitpick myself apart. Til then, they're the ones who know what they're doing.

I agree that Matt and Toni Avance at TVM are able to furnish rifles to customers a bit quicker than most and they build very fine guns. But even with them you'll have to wait a while. I've waited up to a year plus for a couple of guns I ordered though now the wait may be slightly under that. In short you probably can't get a high quality custom gun without having to be put on a waiting list. The one man shops likely will have the longest wait.

Hanshi,
You're absolutely correct about the waiting list, and I hated the wait on mine, but when I got mine, well, they could've kept it longer and I'd still be thrilled. It was worth the wait. I cant remember who it was here that first made the comment about the custom route getting you a much more prized gun in the long run than any factory can produce, but they were right. I still love my GPR, but the TVM Late Lancaster just seems to have something different and special. It doesnt shoot any better, but there's just something there I cant figure out that's just different. And you can tell there was more care taken in it's build than a factory could ever put into it consistently.

If I could only have one gun, and price was no object, Jerry Huddleston. He creates works of art, and contributeas much to this forum.
I also would aspire to create like he does.
Nuff Sed.

I too went to Allen Martin. Having been waiting for nearly 3 years and the rifle is currently in UPS coming cross country. Allen is a true master! I would highly HIGHLY recommend him to ANYONE looking for a Lehigh.

todd

limbhangers said:
I know alot of you make your own but if you had to go and buy one from a builder who would you choose? Please submit your pics too!

I trust me :rotf: What else would you expect?

There are some I would buy just to own them and have. I have one such that has not been shot in probably 3 years and its not for sale.
But for a shooter?
Me.

Dan

Back