• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rattlesnake patchbox rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would like to start a list of known originals with rattlesnake patchboxes. I saw one a while back and cannot remember where. Going through all my references trying to find it again but have not been successful. If you know of one, please give any info and sources for pics. The only one I turned up is in Gunsmiths of Adams, Franklin, and Cumberland Counties PA by James Whisker on page 109. It is by John Settel.

Would like to start a list of known originals with rattlesnake patchboxes. I saw one a while back and cannot remember where. Going through all my references trying to find it again but have not been successful. If you know of one, please give any info and sources for pics. The only one I turned up is in Gunsmiths of Adams, Franklin, and Cumberland Counties PA by James Whisker on page 109. It is by John Settel.
Are you talking about the Virginia Manufactory Rifle? Like this reproduction
https://claysmithguns.com/first_model_virginia_manufactory.htm

Hmmm, something new for me. I had no idea something like that existed.

And I am older than that snake on the rifle since it does not have that many rattles on its tail! ;)

The Doc is out now. :cool:

I got one in the build cue.

Attachments

• IMG_5960.jpeg
    IMG_5960.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
That's pretty cool. That's the reason for my original question, I was planning a next project. Remembered seeing that patchbox somewhere and figured it might make for a cool project.

Is that all Rifle Shoppe hardware then?
Yes it is. I lucked out and found this set second hand along with the correct barrel about 3 years ago

Just found another one. KRF #21 disc The Longrifle in Virginia #49 on the disc. Looks almost identical to the Virginia Manufactory rifle except this one is a brass box. The rifle itself is quite different though. Attributed to Philip Grandstaff.

I talked to the fellow whose building the rattlesnake rifle today. He said he found very few photos of originals with the motif and most of the engraving was pretty crude. He's getting his ideas from snake photos and doing the rest from inspiration. I've seen some of it and it looks good. He made a punch to stamp scales into the top jaw and I think some snake eyes as well. I'll take another look next time I'm in his shop.

Crisco Kid, sounds like a cool project. Direct him here to the referenced guns for some more info. Also found another to add. William Weiss gun in Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle by Joe Kindig pages 128-129. If you got any pics of his work add them here, would be neat to see.

Back