• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who can jug choke a smoothbore barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's been more birds that took a while standing on there head to go into a death flap... with a full on benelli..

would those birds have got back up if I didn't get on them fast. I don't know. Probably

I did mine with a simple brake hone, It took some time and two sets of stones but it came out well. I sugest you give it a try.
I would try that on one of mine but finding drawings that give dimensions seems to be impossible.
Details like the length, diameter, and tapered angles on both ends of the enlarged area.

Wow it took a few but I found target examples I think of cyln bore jug deal.. and a jug to full..

If it's just turkey... I'd want the jug to full construction.. I wouldnt shoot any small game under 40 yards with that but

If for other small game and turkey.. jug to cyln.. looks like a modified maybe a little better. You will have to let small game run or fly a little..

Is it one of those Italian guns you can just get in the mail here... I think the modification to make it something your using more or all the time... 100% worth it..

If it's the real deal gun you can't find... your crazy don't change nothing

After all of my years of small game hunting, I'm still trying to figure out why everyone wants a tighter choke? the double I started out with was chocked full and full. as a youngster of 10 years old I couldn't hit squat. Squirrels no matter how high were dead meat. My dad had a double bored for skeet. Rabbits and pheasants started to fall. the problem was that gun weighed over 8 lbs. and for a skinny kid of 10 with one arm hampered by Erb's palsy it was just too much for me to handle. I hunted in Jersey in the 50's & 60's, the so called golden years. I would venture to guess that 90% of the game we shot were within 10 yds. . well within the limits of a cylinder choke. As far jug chocking I remember Brownell's use to sell an inside the barrel caliper for the purpose. You stuck it in your barrel and measured the arms that stuck outside the barrel with a micrometer. The hard part was after getting the diameter opened up was tapering both ends of the choke part so you didn't cause an obstruction. Without that inside barrel caliper it would be difficult to do successfully. Now just realize that this is from an 80 year old memory. YMMV

After all of my years of small game hunting, I'm still trying to figure out why everyone wants a tighter choke? the double I started out with was chocked full and full. as a youngster of 10 years old I couldn't hit squat. Squirrels no matter how high were dead meat. My dad had a double bored for skeet. Rabbits and pheasants started to fall. the problem was that gun weighed over 8 lbs. and for a skinny kid of 10 with one arm hampered by Erb's palsy it was just too much for me to handle. I hunted in Jersey in the 50's & 60's, the so called golden years. I would venture to guess that 90% of the game we shot were within 10 yds. . well within the limits of a cylinder choke. As far jug chocking I remember Brownell's use to sell an inside the barrel caliper for the purpose. You stuck it in your barrel and measured the arms that stuck outside the barrel with a micrometer. The hard part was after getting the diameter opened up was tapering both ends of the choke part so you didn't cause an obstruction. Without that inside barrel caliper it would be difficult to do successfully. Now just realize that this is from an 80 year old memory. YMMV

There are places you have to use choke for small game. Different country longer shots.. maybe crow

But yes cb is the best.

Turkey is nice to have something choke.. but that's turkey..

My grandfather used a full. Pheasant birds.. but he let them fly.. he let me and everyone else shoot first

Last edited:
Everyone on cyl would be no good...

A group of 3 hunters is nice. For bird

Back