• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which curl would you choose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I have a wonderful dilemma...I need to choose a stock for my next build (Lancaster). What would you go with (price is the same)?

Option 1 - is a fine curl (grade 6/7)
Option 2 - wild tiger curl (grade 6)

The fine is actually graded slightly higer, but something is pulling me into the wild curl... :hmm: HELP!

Are you thinking of a bunch of carving ? Curly can be a bear, not as bad as burl/birdseye----But sooo pretty...#2.....Tom just don't say I told you to get it. :v

I don't plan on carving this one other than standard molding and small simple incised carving on the forearm and butt stock. This is going to be 54 cal deer getter!

Number one has a nice clean area for carving,(for an amateur like me) and it can be embellished with silver wire, etc. Number two would look absolutely beautiful, carved or not. If you're careful, number two could be carved and inlaid to a glorious end. BUT... I would prefer the carving of someone like Peter Berry of Dauphin Co. to that of Lancaster. But the long, graceful lines and full butt of the Lancaster rifle stands in class by itself. #1 is a blond, #2 is a redhead. Gotta be #2. Tree :thumbsup:

Need more pics,,
What's the rest of it look like? How's the curl shaped in the lower forearm, and how well does it blend with the rest of the stock?
IMHO, curl that shapes/blends itself well through out the full line of the rifle looks better, balances better than one or two "exotic" areas.
I mean they all look nice, but what's really nice is when a piece "flows" from one area in to the next.

That's why we're drawn to these shapes, Master Artists from centuries ago created the eye appealing shape and look of the early European rifles for Kings and Nobel's, it's a timeless design that we still find attractive. Wild looking natural grains in wood always have an appeal, but the true master grade rifles look good because the entire things just works in a symmetry,,
after thought;
Think of the patch box placement South Paw, :wink:

Both are pretty uniform all the way down. I just chose these two pics. And they are both grade 7 I misread the email from Daniel at Dunlap.

ya ,know just some food for thought. I have scene some stocks with a lot of curl and they look nice. However each gun is different, and to much curl can actually cause the stock to look to busy looking. So you need to know what stain and finish your using i.e.. light , dark , mid range in color . Also are there going to be carvings, inlays etc. just some considerations.

Beaver T.

This!
Pull out your plastic card and buy them both :surrender: :surrender: :grin:

#2 if no carving.......if you want to do some carving the first will be very nice.
A nice brass PB on either! :grin:

Marc

NO,no,no, on the Patchbox idea! :slap: Why cover up all that curl "Tiger strip" with a patch box?. If that's one thing that gets to me is have someone with a grade 6 or 7 curl and then cover it up with a gaudy brass patchbox :youcrazy: .

Latest posts

Back