• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions needed...too "out there" for a long rifle or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gang,

So, for those who read my intro post, you know I had one of the Lyman Plains Rifles "way back when." It wasn't the Great Plains, but rather more like one of the "off the rack" Hawken style MLs you see these days. The big difference was this one was finished quite light (think honey colored stock that nearly blended with the brass hardware). It had a big, dark knot in the comb and turned a lot of heads...I let that one get away from me and I kinda regret it now.

My question for the group is this: would trying to get a similar finish on a Kibler Woods Runner be tantamount to sacrilege? Most full stock long guns I see are deep brown or red finishes that really highlight the curl (tiger striped) with matching dark finished barrels and locks.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a carved maple stock, a few passes of aniline fruitwood or pecan (sanded between...to bring up the curl, but not go overly dark...maybe a little torch highlighting of the carving too) and then go to BLO, followed by sealing it all with a wax, or cut spar urethane as a sealer / protector. For the barrel and lock, I was thinking maybe a little mustard treatment and Scotchbright pad work....or cold blue and backing it off with steel wool or fine emery paper...something to get a little protection and color, but not a lot. The brass work would be kept fairly bright (though not high polish...if I want to use this as a hunting rifle too, I don't want to be flashing the critters too much ;) ).

It would certainly be a different look than the current "typical" long rifle... I'm just wondering if it might be too atypical. I dropped a picture of a Plains Rifle (not the one I had) in as my avatar, in case that helps to visualize things better.

Thoughts?
Even though it may not be PC, I like it. It’s your rifle. Finish it to your liking.

Back in the '70s I read a piece encouraging folks to build rifles using there own designs, locally available woods, and fittings reflecting local motifs, creating new schools relevant to their counties where ever in the country. In other words, do your own thing.

LMF honey maple will give you a very nice blondish finish. A couple of the lighter shades of Trans tint ought to work, too.
I recently refinished a stock for a friend made of pale colored, highly figured European walnut. Using honey maple stain, the figure really popped.

Thanks for all the support folks. It looks like what I'm planning is a little different than the norm, but not *that* far out there. There are a few things I am still contemplating (I'm not great at woodworking, but would like to possibly do some supplemental carving or inletting....might have to order an extra patch box lid and some wood scraps when I finally do place my order with Kibler.

On the positive side, at least I'm not thinking of grabbing one of the dyes that folks are using on guitars these days.... I do think a blue or purple long rifle is a bit too far from the norm ;)

Do what you want. Keep it tasteful, and don't nickel plate anything. :D

27a.jpg

Do what you want. Keep it tasteful, and don't nickel plate anything.:D
No....definitely not for a long rifle.

I did have a beautiful .22 cal WMR rifle with a laminate stock that all the exposed metal was the Parkerized satin grey. For a modern "gopher gun" it looked great and was a fantastic shooter...but the neighbor's neighbor out at the ranch was a nudist colony and they didn't like small arms fire that close. The new management out there tried to "read me the riot act," but I was following all the applicable laws to the letter. I was responsive to their concerns, though... I asked if it was the sound or potential for mis-directed rounds (ricochets) that they were most concerned about. When they said misdirected rounds, I told them "no problem" and switched to my old .45 cal Lyman Plains cap and ball rifle. 😆 😈

As for the long rifle I'm looking to build, I'm open to either a cold blue buffed back or a mustard French grey finish...matching up the lock and barrel in a "bright but aged" grey but still treating it so it's protected.

Back